McClatchy DC Logo

Islamic radicals claim to behead a hostage U.S. Marine | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Islamic radicals claim to behead a hostage U.S. Marine

Tom Lasseter - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 03, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—A radical Islamic group in Iraq said Saturday that it had beheaded U.S. Marine Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun in a videotaped execution.

If true, it would mark the third beheading of a hostage in Iraq in about two months. Military officials in Baghdad could not say whether Hassoun was dead or alive.

Hassoun, assigned to the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, was reported missing on June 21 and was seen last Sunday in a video aired by the Arab satellite news channel al-Jazeera. On that video, Hassoun was shown wearing a blindfold, with a man holding a curved sword above his neck. His unnamed captors said in a statement that they would kill him unless the United States released Iraqi detainees.

The Saturday statement was posted to an Islamic Web site.

SIGN UP

"We would like to inform you that the Marine of Lebanese origin Hassoun has been slaughtered," said the group, called Ansar al-Sunna Army. "You are going to see the video with your very own eyes soon."

No footage of Hassoun's death was shown Saturday night. In the past two beheadings—of a South Korean and an American—videos were provided to al-Jazeera. Terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, also linked to al-Qaida, claimed responsibility for those.

In its statement about Hassoun's execution, the group identified itself as being part of the National Islamic Resistance—1920 Revolution Brigade, a name making reference to the Iraqi revolution of 1920 against British rule.

An offshoot of the group, Ansar al-Sunna, had also taken credit for twin suicide bombings that killed more than 100 people in northern Iraq earlier this year. The group is thought to be either a part of Ansar al Islam, an al-Qaida-affiliated terrorist group that operated out of northern Iraq before the war, or a collection of Wahabi Muslim extremists.

Reports of the killing came on a day of renewed violence in Iraq, whose government was given sovereignty less than a week ago. South of Baghdad, near the town of Mahmudiya, seven Iraqi national guardsmen were killed and two wounded in a rocket-propelled grenade attack.

The U.S. military also confirmed that a Marine died of wounds sustained Friday in fighting in western Iraq, but gave no further details.

While the number of attacks on U.S. troops went down to between 20 and 25 daily last Monday and Tuesday following the handover of sovereignty, attacks have returned to between 35-and 45 a day now, according to a senior military official in Baghdad, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

The military said it found a car-bomb assembly site in southern Baghdad, where four vehicles were in various stages of completion. Soldiers also found 50 pounds of C4 explosives, the equivalent of about $8,200 in cash, a stash of Ak-47s and RPG equipment.

The country's prime minister, Iyad Allawi, also was reported Saturday to still be considering offering amnesty to insurgents, perhaps even those who fought with American forces.

The statement alleging Hassoun's beheading appeared to be dated June 20, the day before Hassoun was listed as missing, and said the group was from Qaim, a town in western Iraq near the Syrian border.

The statement said that Hassoun was kidnapped after being lured off his base in connection with a romantic relationship he was having "with an Arab girl."

The U.S. military originally classified Hassoun as missing, but later changed his status to captured, based on the images aired on al-Jazeera of the blindfolded Marine.

Dozens of foreigners in Iraq have been taken hostage during the past several months, but most have been released after negotiations or military operations.

On Saturday, the Ansar group said that it was holding "another infidel."

"Withdraw your army and you will be safe," the group said. "Or else we will keep doing what we are doing."

There was a separate video released this week showing the alleged execution of U.S. Army Spc. Keith Maupin, who was captured during an ambush in April.

In the portion of the video that was aired on al Jazeera, a blindfolded man, ostensibly Maupin, was sitting on the ground. The military has not confirmed that the man was Maupin, and it was not possible to verify his identity from the video. According to al Jazeera, the next several scenes showed the man being shot in the back of the head and then lumped into a hole in the ground.

(Lasseter reports for The Miami Herald)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story