McClatchy DC Logo

Iraqi officials reject U.N. plan to delay conference | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Iraqi officials reject U.N. plan to delay conference

Dogen Hannah - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 27, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Organizers of a conference to choose an interim Iraqi national assembly—the first step toward elections that are to be held by January—announced Tuesday that they had rejected a U.N. proposal to delay the start of the meeting until after this month.

The delay would have run afoul of laws enacted by the former U.S.-led occupation authority and hurt the credibility of the process among leery Iraqis, said Fuad Masoum, the head of the conference's organizing committee.

The conference will begin Saturday, he said, and will last one or two days.

U.N. officials helping to organize the elections had argued that there hadn't been enough time to address properly the selection of delegates to the conference and their safety.

SIGN UP

"We'd like for the United Nations to understand these circumstances and to continue helping the Iraqi people to get through this period and to reach a constitutional period," Masoum said, arguing that "any delay will have a negative effect on this committee, and we don't want to raise any problems in this critical period."

Earlier this month, some organizers had said the conference could begin as early as Wednesday.

The conference is the next step in the U.N.-sanctioned plan to establish a democratic Iraq. Under the plan, the conference is to be made up of 1,000 delegates from Iraq's several ethnic and geographic groups. The delegates in turn are to pick 81 people from their ranks to be members of the interim national assembly. The rest of the 100-person membership will be made up of former members of the disbanded Iraqi Governing Council not serving in the current interim government.

Masoum said the final list of conference delegates hasn't been drawn up, but it will be announced in a day or two.

The national assembly primarily will be an advisory body, but it will be able to veto executive orders from Prime Minister Iyad Allawi if it can muster a two-thirds majority. It also will have approval authority of the nation's 2005 budget.

"I don't expect this assembly to have a magic wand to solve all problems," said Baghdad University political scientist Amer Hassan Fayadh. "However, democracy is a matter of process. This process needs steps, and this conference is one of the steps."

Working with government ministers, the assembly also will help prepare for parliamentary elections by Jan. 31. The government is preparing to undertake a national census in the fall.

The absence of direct elections so far has led some powerful political and religious leaders to reject participation in the conference. Notable among them is radical Shiite Muslim cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, although Masoum said Tuesday that an invitation still stands for al Sadr or his representatives to attend.

"Whoever attends, we welcome them," Masoum said. "If they have other ideas, we respect their ideas."

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story