McClatchy DC Logo

Reconstruction in Iraq moves forward, despite a slow start | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Reconstruction in Iraq moves forward, despite a slow start

Ken Dilanian - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 13, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—It's not every day that a group of poor, uneducated Iraqis breaks into cheers for a high-ranking American official. That's what happened Tuesday when the U.S. reconstruction chief strode up to hundreds of workers who'd been hired to help dig Iraq's first environmentally sound landfill, in southwest Baghdad.

It was a welcome change for retired Adm. David Nash, who heads the newly renamed Projects and Contracting Office, which has been the subject of fierce criticism lately for the slow pace and missed goals of the Iraq reconstruction effort.

His office oversees the $18.4 billion that Congress earmarked last fall to help Iraq rebuild its decrepit infrastructure. Two recent government reports showed that the reconstruction is badly behind schedule, in part because insurgents have successfully derailed it through violence and sabotage.

Only 2 percent of the money had been spent as of last month, and just 30,000 Iraqis had been hired—painfully short of an original goal of 250,000. In some basic services, Iraq remains worse off than before the war.

SIGN UP

Nash acknowledged a slow start, but said the reality was better than those numbers suggested. His office said Tuesday that 1,439 of 2,300 projects were under way, and more than $6 billion was "obligated" to pay for them. Nash said 30,000 to 60,000 Iraqis were working on those projects on any given day. And he said the numbers were climbing steadily.

The $22 million landfill project, which began five days ago and is employing 1,900 Iraqis, is an example of that, he said.

"It's taken us a while to get it going, but it's going now," he said, standing at the dusty landfill site in a black blazer and tie. "Obviously (insurgent violence) is a concern and it has an effect on us, but we're continuing to work, as we had even through the April time frame. A lot of the Iraqis didn't show up for work during that time frame, but they are now, and we're continuing to work."

Other projects are designed to improve electricity, water treatment, hospitals, the oil industry, public buildings, transportation infrastructure and security installations.

Violence has bedeviled the reconstruction effort by scaring away contractors and slowing supply lines, and Nash's 15-minute trip to the landfill from his office in the Green Zone, the protected area where Iraq's government is headquartered, underscored the perceived threat. He arrived in a convoy of armor-plated SUVs, while six helicopter gunships hovered overhead. A dozen machine-gun-toting private security guards surrounded him, and a company of U.S. soldiers in armored Humvees formed an outer perimeter.

American officials refused even to name the Iraqi firm that won the main subcontract on the landfill project.

Still, the project is a hopeful example of the dual benefits of the reconstruction program. When the construction firm FluorAMEC won the contract, it envisioned using heavy equipment to dig and clear rubble. But soldiers from the U.S. Army's 1st Cavalry Division, which polices Baghdad, suggested that the project be restructured to employ as many Iraqis with shovels as possible, said Col. Steve Lanza of New York, who commands the division's 5th Brigade.

"It's a jobs program, and it's also a force protection measure, because the local community has a stake in the project," he said. "We had 5,000 people show up to apply."

The project pays the Iraqi workers 8,000 dinars—$5.33—per day, a typical day laborer's wage. Lanza asked the local U.S.-appointed neighborhood advisory councils to provide the workers as a way of increasing their stature, he said, and he had a respected sheik coordinate the Iraqi work force at the job site.

A major criticism of the reconstruction program is that it hasn't been employing enough Iraqis, in a country where the 30 percent unemployment rate is seen as contributing to the insurgency. Nash said he was working to make projects more job-intensive, while balancing the need to do them quickly and efficiently.

Officials said the landfill, which will take in 3,000 cubic yards of waste per day, is being built according to modern environmental standards, with a liner and a drainage system to prevent water-table contamination.

Its status as Iraq's first modern landfill underscores how far the country has to go in sanitation and the environment.

Both civil and military authorities have contracted for trash collection in Baghdad, but the service is spotty and corruption-prone, and most people still seem to be dumping their garbage in vacant lots or on desolate streets.

Steel waste bins put in place recently by the 1st Cavalry Division in the Shiite Muslim slum of Sadr City were broken apart by thieves and carted away.

A list of Iraqi reconstruction projects can be found on the Web at www.rebuilding-iraq.net.

———

(Dilanian reports for The Philadelphia Inquirer.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ-RECONSTRUCTION

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1007597

May 24, 2007 01:40 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story