McClatchy DC Logo

5 American soldiers killed; missing Marine in U.S. custody | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

5 American soldiers killed; missing Marine in U.S. custody

Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 08, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Rebels killed five American soldiers and an Iraqi guard north of Baghdad on Thursday as violence raged the day after Prime Minister Iyad Allawi signed tough new security laws to empower his government against the nation's persistent insurgency.

Also, a Lebanese-born Marine once missing in Iraq and feared beheaded was picked up Thursday by U.S. authorities, who took him to the American embassy in Beirut, Lebanon. Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun's appearance ended a week of conflicting reports on whether or not Muslim militants had beheaded him.

Allawi also announced Thursday that radiological and nuclear materials left over from Saddam Hussein's regime were shipped to the United States after an investigation by the U.S. Defense and Energy departments. The cargo included about 2 tons of low-enriched uranium and other agents the former regime could have "diverted to support a nuclear weapons program," according to a statement from Allawi's office.

Still, no evidence has surfaced that Saddam had prepared weapons of mass destruction, the Bush administration's main justification for the war in Iraq.

SIGN UP

Hassoun had been reported missing since June 20, when he disappeared from his base in western Iraq. A videotape later surfaced, showing him blindfolded and threatened with beheading by his presumed captors. Days later, an Internet posting purportedly from Hassoun's captors said he'd been beheaded.

The U.S. Navy is investigating whether Hassoun's ordeal was a hoax. Earlier this week, a senior American military official in Baghdad, speaking on condition of anonymity, hinted that there was more to Hassoun's story, saying investigators were looking at the case "with a bit of a jaundiced eye."

For the second day in a row, insurgents pounded Iraq's scrappy National Guard service. More than 20 people were wounded in the mortar attack that killed the American soldiers and destroyed the National Guard headquarters in the city of Samarra, about 60 miles north of Baghdad.

Samarra is an insurgent hotbed because of its location in the so-called Sunni Triangle, home to a mixture of nationalist fighters, members of Saddam's former regime and foreign Islamists. In other parts of the city Thursday, three Iraqis died in gunfire directed at a school and near a mosque.

The attacks came a day after rebels in Baghdad waged two protracted gun battles with Iraqi guardsmen supported by U.S. soldiers. Wednesday's attacks left at least two Iraqi guardsmen dead and 10 wounded. Taha Hussein, a spokesman for the prime minister, said 19 gunmen were killed and nine suspects were arrested in the incidents.

Despite the escalation in violence, Allawi has no immediate plans to call on the sweeping security measures he signed into law Wednesday, Hussein said. The laws give the government the power to impose curfews and conduct house-to-house searches, albeit with rules governing the extent of martial law.

"We don't want to use it right away. You can see the level of resistance and violence has started to decrease, " Hussein said. "You can see the National Guardsmen and police all over the streets, so the situation is better than before. Iyad Allawi will use the emergency law only when the situation worsens."

An apparent car bomb exploded Thursday afternoon outside a fabric factory on the southern outskirts of Baghdad, killing the factory's middle-aged owner and igniting a large fire. Eyewitnesses said the blast ripped through Ali Abbas Hassan's red Toyota as he was leaving work. The U.S. military had no information on the incident. Arabic-language TV reported that Hassan was a high-level member of Saddam's Baath Party.

Iraq's hostage crisis continues to unfold, with two chilling new videos broadcast on Arab TV. A sobbing Filipino worker and a stone-faced Egyptian driver were shown separately with masked gunmen who threatened to kill them. The videos prompted the Filipino and Egyptian governments to call for their citizens to stop working in Iraq.

Lawyers for Saddam canceled plans to visit the imprisoned former dictator after militants in another video released Thursday vowed to behead anyone defending "the cowardly criminal."

———

(Special correspondent David George contributed to this story from Baghdad.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story