McClatchy DC Logo

Fourth soldier to face court-martial in prisoner abuse scandal | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Fourth soldier to face court-martial in prisoner abuse scandal

Carol Rosenberg - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 14, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—The American military on Friday ordered an alleged ringleader of the Abu Ghraib prisoner-abuse affair to face court-martial on charges that he abused prisoners, committed adultery and violated other military rules and regulations.

In Washington, defense officials said Friday that the American military commander in Iraq had prohibited military intelligence interrogators from using sleep deprivation, stressful body positions and certain other techniques on Iraqi detainees. Army Gen. Ricardo Sanchez instituted the ban Thursday, the day Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld paid a surprise visit to Abu Ghraib, the officials said.

The defense officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that under a policy that had been implemented in October, those techniques had required a high-level legal review and approval by the military leadership in Iraq before military intelligence interrogators could use them. No approvals were ever given, they said.

U.S. Army Cpl. Charles A. Graner Jr., 35, a reservist, is the fourth military police officer of seven accused in the case to be ordered to trial for mistreating Iraqis at Saddam Hussein's former torture center and photographing it. Graner is charged with seven offenses: obstruction of justice, committing indecent acts, assault, maltreatment of prisoners, cruelty, dereliction of duty and conspiracy. Guy Womack, Graner's lawyer, has said his client was following orders.

SIGN UP

One charge accuses Graner of hitting a detainee with a metal baton "that caused pain sufficient to make the detainee cry out, `Mister, mister, please stop.'"

Another charge says Graner "wrongfully (had) sexual intercourse" with another guard, Pfc. Lynndie England, 21, who appears in one photo holding a nude prisoner by a leash. Four months pregnant, England was sent home and is now under investigation at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Adultery is a crime in the U.S. military. England is divorced; Graner, a civilian prison guard in Waynesburg, Pa., is separated from his wife, the mother of his two children.

Graner will be arraigned next Thursday in Iraq, along with Staff Sgt. Ivan L. Frederick II and Sgt. Javal C. Davis, who were already facing courts-martial in the affair. All three are reservists with the 372nd Military Police Company from Cumberland, Md.

No trial date has been set, and Graner, Frederick and Davis have been reassigned to duties that don't involve contact with detainees at Camp Victory, a U.S. military base near the Baghdad airport.

Spc. Jeremy Sivits, 24, faces the first trial Wednesday, on charges of conspiracy to mistreat detainees, dereliction of duty for failing to protect detainees from abuse, cruelty and maltreatment of detainees. A general has empowered a judge to punish Sivits with a bad-conduct discharge.

Sivits allegedly photographed more senior enlisted soldiers abusing prisoners, and he's expected to serve as a witness for the prosecution. He's told investigators that Graner once knocked out a prisoner by punching him in the head.

The cases of the other three military police soldiers are still under criminal investigation.

The mostly open-air Abu Ghraib prison houses about 3,500 Iraqi detainees, few if any of them charged with crimes.

U.S. military officials say the prison has cleaned up its act, in part by replacing reserve military police with more seasoned active-duty soldiers. On Friday, Army Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, a military spokesman in Iraq, announced that the new commander of the prison released 293 Iraqis after reviewing their cases; American officials said they'd free another 475 prisoners next week.

The interrogation techniques that no longer can be employed also include sensory deprivation, the presence of dogs at interrogations and manipulation of a detainee's diet.

Isolating a prisoner more than 30 days was the only technique retained from a list of those that had required legal review and top-level approval before they could be used, the defense officials said.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Jonathan S. Landay contributed to this report from Washington.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story