McClatchy DC Logo

Allawi outlines plans for Iraqi security forces as violence persists | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Allawi outlines plans for Iraqi security forces as violence persists

Tom Lasseter and Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 20, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Calling the U.S. decision last year to dissolve the Iraqi army "a big mistake," Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi promised Sunday to mold the nation's beleaguered security forces into a guerrilla-fighting network with the brawn of the former regime, minus the brutality.

On the same day that Allawi outlined his plans for improving security measures, there was widespread violence throughout Iraq.

Two Iraqi civil defense corps soldiers were killed and eight wounded in a roadside bomb attack in western Baghdad, U.S. military officials said. A bombing near Baghdad's Central Bank wounded several Iraqis, witnesses said. Small arms fire and rocket propelled grenades wounded two U.S. soldiers Saturday night, and U.S. aircraft counterattacked in Baghdad's Sadr City, a military spokesman said.

And to the north, in the town of Samarra, 10 Iraqis were reportedly killed and about 12 injured in fighting Sunday with U.S. troops—figures that military officials in Baghdad said they could not confirm.

SIGN UP

Insurgents "have attacked bases in and around Samarra several times over the past few days," a U.S. military spokesman said. "We aren't keeping comprehensive casualty counts of enemy fighters."

Allawi told journalists in Baghdad that Iraq's new security forces would be organized into police and national guard units to root out insurgents, far-flung patrols to seal the border, a coast guard to secure vital ports, an air force to watch over electrical and oil lines, and even special forces to "strike terrorists before they have a chance to hit innocent people."

He said the units would be coordinated through regional and national offices under a committee for national security, an effort to centralize what is now a scattered Iraqi security operation.

But asked for specifics of how many troops he hopes to have—versus how many there are now—and exactly how all the military units would operate, Allawi said he didn't have time to explain.

He acknowledged, however, that he is counting on a partnership with U.S.-led troops to fight the nation's persistent insurgency even after the return of sovereignty to Iraqis on July 1.

"Definitely, dissolving the army was a big mistake," Allawi said. "We do not have full capabilities. That's why we've asked the multinational forces to remain."

Allawi pleaded for much-needed equipment and support from neighboring countries, some of which have been accused of funding Iraq's deadly insurgency and allowing foreign fighters to cross their borders into Iraq.

"The enemy we are fighting is truly evil, they have nothing to offer the Iraqi people except death and destruction," Allawi said.

So far, Iraqi security troops and police have been hit hard by attacks. A bombing at a recruitment center last week killed at least 36 and wounded 138, leaving body parts and debris scattered across four lanes of traffic. Much of the Iraqi military apparatus is under-trained, short of supplies and unpopular with many Iraqis, who see it as an arm of the U.S. occupation.

Told of Allawi's plan, Mahmoud Alaa Mahmoud, a Baghdad grocery store worker and former first lieutenant in the Iraqi Army, said he missed the military life but wouldn't join under the present circumstances.

Asked what would have to change for him to sign up, Mahmoud said he would put on a uniform again "only if there was a good government that represents the people. I am an officer, and I will not take orders from an American because that is against my dignity."

Allawi said his proposed restructuring of the military had been approved by his top-level national security committee, which includes the finance, defense, interior and foreign affairs ministers.

Abdul Latif Rashid, water resources minister and a member of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, was cautious about the proposal. The Kurds were violently oppressed by Saddam Hussein and his military, including a chemical weapons attack that killed thousands.

"You can regroup divisions, you have to have military structure and discipline, but I don't think the Iraqi people will accept Saddam's army back," Rashid said.

"It's not the shape of the plane or the color of the uniform. The Iraqi people were against the message of the old regime," Rashid said. "We hope this new army will work in defense of the Iraqi people."

The plan seemed popular with some on the streets of Baghdad, where those interviewed said they'd be willing to accept the risk of the new military if it could stop the car bombings that have rocked the capital.

"It's hard for me to believe that there are some people in the Army whose hands are not covered with blood," said Ali Abdullah, a customs worker. "But it is necessary that they return because only the army can bring back our security."

———

(Lasseter reports for The Miami Herald.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Iyad Allawi

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story