McClatchy DC Logo

Bomb, ambush dim hopes for reduced violence in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Bomb, ambush dim hopes for reduced violence in Iraq

Tom Lasseter - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 05, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Even as American officials expressed cautious optimism about the first 24 hours of a militia ceasefire in southern Iraq, and continued to hope that a recently appointed Iraqi government will bring peace to the nation, yet another day of grisly violence broke out in Baghdad on Saturday.

In the first attack, a roadside bomb killed two U.S. soldiers and injured two others in the early morning hours near the restive Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City. It was the same section of town in which four soldiers had been killed and five wounded the day before.

Later in the afternoon, a convoy was ambushed near the Baghdad airport. Although U.S. officials did not provide either a body count or a description of the events, witnesses at the scene said at least four people died. The identities of the dead were not known, but the sport utility vehicles engulfed in fire and smoke after the attack were the sort used by civilian contractors in Iraq.

Safar Khamis, an Iraqi police recruiter who said he saw the ambush, said that a car of Iraqis opened fire at the convoy with rocket propelled grenades from one side of the road as another group of men began shooting AK-47s from the other direction.

SIGN UP

One of the burned-out SUVs was a white Toyota Land Cruiser filled with Iraqi civilians who happened to be passing by at the wrong time, Khamis said. The second SUV, a white GMC, was carrying westerners and accompanied by military Humvees, he said.

After the Land Cruiser was hit, the driver, his face covered in blood, leaned out the window and yelled that there were women and children inside the vehicle, and they were burning to death, Khamis said. Onlookers were unable to respond because of the crossfire.

Mustafa Mohammed, 14, said he could hear people screaming and glass breaking as the SUVs went up in flames.

To the west of Baghdad a civilian contractor was killed and a soldier wounded in a roadside bomb attack on their convoy near the town of Haditha, according to the U.S. military.

In the southern cities of Najaf and Kufa, sites of recent intense battles between the U.S. Army and fighters loyal to Muslim cleric Moqtada al Sadr, militia members reportedly began putting down their arms.

Film footage showed shops open on the streets of Najaf, which just the day before had been filled with swarms of gunmen. An arrest warrant is still outstanding for al Sadr, accused of being involved in the murder of a rival cleric.

Dan Senor, a U.S. spokesman, said that American officials still expect al Sadr to stand trial in an Iraqi court for the alleged crime, but gave no indication of how or when that might happen.

While expressing encouragement at the apparent calm in the south, Senor said U.S. officials would be watching during the next few days to see how things turn out.

A cease-fire less than two weeks ago lasted only a few days before new fighting erupted.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1006326

May 24, 2007 01:27 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story