McClatchy DC Logo

Two Army brigades on their way home are to return to Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Two Army brigades on their way home are to return to Iraq

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 09, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Pentagon officials have decided that two Germany-based brigades of the 1st Armored Division won't leave Iraq as scheduled and will be redeployed to Baghdad and Najaf, officials in Washington and Kuwait said Friday.

Some of the troops were already in Kuwait, awaiting flights to Germany. Others were headed to Kuwait when they were ordered to turn around.

No official announcement has been made of the redeployment, but division commander Maj. Gen. Martin Dempsey told the troops about it in a letter dated Thursday. An official announcement will come over the weekend, a senior Defense Department official said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"We are being called to finish the fight against Madhi's Army south of Baghdad," Dempsey said in his letter. "I know you are eager to get home. I am too. But not if that means allowing one thug to replace another. We've worked too hard here to make that happen."

SIGN UP

Word of the redeployment came as death totals indicated that the past week of fighting is likely to have been the bloodiest since U.S. forces entered Iraq more than a year ago.

At least 43 Americans—soldiers and Marines—have died since the uprising by Shiite militiamen began last Sunday, and at least 48 service members died during the first nine days of April, according to researchers with the independent Web site www.lunaville.org, which tracks coalition casualties.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, at a news conference earlier this week, had said it was possible that a number of troops could be ordered to stay longer. The 1st Armored Division is the first unit to have received such orders.

U.S. troops in Iraq currently number about 125,000, out of a coalition total of 145,000. Rumsfeld and top commanders had hoped to reduce that to about 105,000 by summer. Keeping the 1st Armored Division in Iraq another three months will add 20,000.

In Kuwait, the soldiers were told that the 1st Armored Division's 2nd Brigade would be ordered to Najaf and was expected to be there until October. Najaf is currently under the control of the Mahdi Army, a Shiite Muslim militia headed by radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.

The division's 1st Brigade will be ordered to Baghdad until sometime in August, soldiers in Kuwait were told. Its 3rd Brigade no longer was at combat strength because so many of its members already had returned home to Fort Riley, Kan., so the rest of its soldiers will go home as planned, officers in Kuwait said.

The number of dead since April 1 makes the period the bloodiest nine-day stretch of the war. The worst day came on March 23 last year, during combat at Nasiriyah, when 30 troops died. The bloodiest month was last November, when 82 soldiers died.

———

(Lee Hill Kavanaugh of The Kansas City Star contributed to this story from Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): USIRAQ-TROOPS

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1004162

May 24, 2007 01:05 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story