McClatchy DC Logo

Attacks blamed on suspected terrorist | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Attacks blamed on suspected terrorist

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 03, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—"There is no doubt" that suspected Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al Zarqawi masterminded the pair of suicide bombings in Iraq on Tuesday that killed more than 140 people during a Shiite Muslim religious observance, Gen. John Abizaid, the chief of U.S. Central Command, said Wednesday.

Abizaid, testifying before the House Armed Services Committee, said the bombings showed a level of sophistication and coordination not previously seen in a string of deadly bombings that have occurred in Iraq since last summer. He said at least six suicide bombers were involved in the attacks, which occurred less than four minutes apart at shrines in Karbala and Baghdad.

"The level of organization and the desire to cause casualties among innocent worshippers is a clear hallmark of the Zarqawi network," Abizaid said.

Later, he told reporters: "I personally believe there is no doubt that Zarqawi is behind this."

SIGN UP

U.S. officials last month released a letter they said was written by Zarqawi to al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden calling for attacks on Shiites to foment a civil war between Shiite and Sunni Muslims. Nearly all of Tuesday's victims were Shiites.

Abizaid also told reporters that the perpetrators of Tuesday's bombings intended to blame the attacks on U.S. forces. Leaflets found shortly after the Baghdad explosions claimed that U.S. forces had fired mortars into the crowd, he said.

Abizaid also said U.S. forces received intelligence before Tuesday's bombings indicating that an attack was imminent, though none of it was specific.

"None of it was good enough to say when it would happen, where it would happen or how it would happen," he said.

But it allowed U.S. commandos to carry out a successful raid on Zarqawi "network operatives" the night before, which prevented further carnage, he said, including thwarting planned suicide car bombing in the southern city of Basra.

"There is no doubt that we disrupted a planned attack even greater" than those that occurred in Karbala and Baghdad, he said.

Abizaid said the targets of the attacks were "several prominent Shiite personalities," though he declined to specify who. He said coalition forces have intelligence showing "some linkage" between Zarqawi and members of Saddam Hussein's former intelligence services.

"Clearly, not only are they targeting the Shia community in an effort to foment civil war—there is no doubt about it," he said. "They are targeting Shia leaders, Sunni leaders and any leader that will emerge in a leadership role in the new Iraq. What the terrorists fear is that a government of moderation will emerge in the new Iraq that allows Iraqis to develop a better future. They will fight every step of the way to prevent this from happening."

Abizaid, who has overall command of U.S. troops in Iraq, also warned of growing cooperation between Sunni Muslim extremists and members of Saddam Hussein's former intelligence services seeking to foment civil war between Iraq's religious and ethnic factions before a planned handover of power June 30 to Iraq's U.S.-backed Governing Council.

U.S. forces placed a $10 million bounty on Zarqawi last month and blame him for a recent wave of bombings in Iraq that has taken hundreds of lives. Zarqawi has been described by the Bush administration as an al-Qaida "associate" though it appears he's operating independently of al-Qaida's chief.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Abizaid

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story