McClatchy DC Logo

Military investigating whether guerrillas knew of generals' convoy | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Military investigating whether guerrillas knew of generals' convoy

Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 12, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—The U.S.-led coalition is trying to determine whether a security breach may have led to a grenade attack Thursday on a military convoy that was carrying Gen. John Abizaid, the commander of all American forces in the Middle East, and another top U.S. general.

Abizaid and Gen. Charles Swannack escaped unharmed after guerrillas fired rocket-propelled grenades and other weapons at their convoy from rooftops in Fallujah, about 30 miles west of Baghdad, military officials said. A spokesman said it was too early to tell whether the assailants attacked the convoy as a target of opportunity or whether they had been tipped off that the two generals were in it.

"Whether we can directly link this attack to any foreknowledge that General Abizaid and General Swannack were going to be there is a leap that we are not going to make at this time," said Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, spokesman for the U.S. military in Iraq.

Kimmitt said an investigation was under way to find out whether insurgents knew in advance of the generals' afternoon visit to an Iraqi civil defense corps compound. He added that American troops returned fire and unsuccessfully pursued the attackers. Kimmitt said troops searched a mosque that was thought to be harboring the men, but made no arrests.

SIGN UP

In the past, U.S. officials in Iraq and Washington have said that some Iraqis working for the American military and the civilian administration may be spies for the insurgents.

Meanwhile, coalition spokesmen had no comments on reports that Grand Ayatollah Ali al Husseini al Sistani, a reclusive cleric whose rulings are considered law by most of Iraq's Shiite Muslim majority, repeated his insistence on direct elections in a meeting Thursday with the leader of a United Nations delegation that's in Iraq to study whether such polls are feasible by this summer.

Sistani's insistence on selecting a new Iraqi government through direct elections rather than a caucus system proposed by the United States has slowed preparations to return control of the country to Iraqis by June 30.

Fallujah is an anti-American hotbed in the so-called Sunni Triangle area, which is home to many diehard supporters of ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. After the attack, Abizaid and Swannack, the commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, canceled plans to walk into the city and returned to a military base instead.

Abizaid is the third high-profile American official to survive an attack in Iraq. In December, gunmen fired on a convoy that was carrying L. Paul Bremer, the top civilian administrator for Iraq. No one was injured. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz was at a Baghdad hotel in October that was hit by a rocket. A colonel was killed and 18 other coalition workers were wounded.

Other U.S. forces have come under attack in the past 24 hours. Two soldiers from the Army's 1st Armored Division died and a third was wounded after a roadside bomb exploded in Baghdad late Wednesday night. The soldiers were on patrol in the western part of the city when they were attacked at 9:30 p.m., according to a military statement. The deaths brought to 257 the number of American soldiers who've been killed in combat since President Bush declared major operations over last May.

On Thursday, insurgents fired eight mortars into an American base in Baghdad, slightly wounding three soldiers. Three military vehicles had shrapnel damage, Kimmitt said.

The attacks continued a week of devastating violence in which more than 100 Iraqi civilians and security personnel were killed in suicide bombings Tuesday and Wednesday. About 50 people died in each of the strikingly similar blasts at a police station in Iskandariyah, south of Baghdad, and at an army recruiting station in the capital.

Coalition spokesmen reiterated Thursday their charges that the attacks probably are the work of foreign fighters who've infiltrated Iraq since the war to turn it into a staging ground for anti-American terrorism. The military has doubled the bounty to $10 million for Abu Musab al Zarqawi, a Jordanian who claimed responsibility for 25 suicide operations in a letter released this week by the coalition.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story