McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. can fund war in Iraq beyond September, Pentagon says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. can fund war in Iraq beyond September, Pentagon says

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 11, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Pentagon on Wednesday sought to allay concerns that the military would run out of money to pay for the war in Iraq beyond next September, saying it could take funds from other accounts until the White House asks Congress for the extra billions of dollars needed.

The Pentagon's $401.7 billion budget request for fiscal year 2005 doesn't contain money for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. That means the military will run out of cash to pay for the war after Oct. 1, when the current funding is expected to run dry. The White House isn't expected to ask Congress for extra money until January 2005—after the November presidential election.

On Tuesday, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker and Marine Corps Commandant Michael Hagee told the Senate Armed Services Committee that they are concerned about how to fund the gap between Oct. 1 and when the White House's supplemental spending request is approved early next year.

But in a hastily called news conference on Wednesday, Pentagon Comptroller Dov Zakheim said the Pentagon could dip into operations and maintenance accounts to pay for the war in Iraq and operations in Afghanistan during the four months between the end of September and January.

SIGN UP

"Many of us believe we should hold off ... requesting any supplemental funds until the beginning of calendar year 2005," said Zakheim. "There are just so many uncertainties and variables between now and then."

Zakheim said the Pentagon has adequate funds in its $127 billion operations and maintenance budget to cover the war, and it can pay that money back after Congress approves the additional money.

He said such variables as how many additional foreign troops will be contributed to Iraq and the schedule of Afghanistan's elections, which have yet to be set for 2005, make it impossible to estimate the operational costs for those countries until July.

Some lawmakers, particularly Democrats, have accused the administration of trying to hide the true costs of the war by financing them through emergency spending bills.

Last year, Congress approved two emergency requests totaling nearly $166 billion to finance the war and reconstruction in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last week, Joshua Bolten, the White House budget director, said a supplemental spending bill for Iraq could run as high as $50 billion.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story