McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. to release Iraqi prisoners, offer bounties for most wanted | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. to release Iraqi prisoners, offer bounties for most wanted

Hannah Allam and Tom Lasseter - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 06, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—In an effort to isolate anti-American insurgents by winning over their likely supporters, U.S. officials will announce Wednesday the release of hundred of Iraqis swept up in raids and new cash bounties for a second tier of most-wanted figures from the former regime.

The prisoner release will affect 506 Iraqi detainees who are not suspected of violent crimes and who will be under the supervision of tribal leaders or clerics who will act as informal probation officers, senior coalition officials told a selected group of reporters in Baghdad Tuesday.

The new most-wanted list will include about two dozen of the country's top fugitives and will offer rewards of up to $200,000 for each one arrested.

The moves are part of a new anti-insurgency campaign that a senior coalition official described as equal parts carrot and stick.

SIGN UP

"We're going to get tough on the diehard insurgents, while at the same time use a carrot approach to the minor violators who do not have blood on their hands," the official said.

"We believe the individuals we have targeted (for release) are on the fence, and we want to give them a shot," he added.

A handful of reporters were briefed Tuesday on the plans and received early copies of a statement to be read Wednesday by L. Paul Bremer III, the U.S. civilian administrator in Iraq, on the condition that they interview no one—either inside or outside Iraq—until the official announcement.

"Let me assure you that this is not a program for those with blood-stained hands," the Bremer statement said. "No person directly involved in the death of or bodily harm to any human being will be released."

With at least 9,000 Iraqis now in U.S. custody, the question of how to detain suspects without creating new enemies has plagued the occupation from the start. Interviews with military and political officials over the past two weeks suggest they are increasingly sensitive to the need to cultivate the hearts and minds of Iraqis who are not participating in the violence, yet do nothing to stop it.

The Iraqi governor of the Al Anbar province, where hundreds have been detained in raids in the cities of Ramadi and Fallujah, said the United States walks a fine line.

"Breaking doors, breaking things, of course it makes many people upset," said Abdul Kareem al-Rawy in an interview last month. "We've had this conversation many, many times with the American leaders."

Whether the release will engender much good will is unclear. The prisoner release will affect about 5 percent of all Iraqis in U.S. custody. Those were chosen through a review of the thousands of detainees being held.

Most detainees were excluded immediately because of violent records, security risk or intelligence value, officials said. An intelligence analyst pored through the remaining files and handpicked 1,200 as possibly eligible for release. Those records were then reviewed by board made up of a military intelligence officer, a judge advocate and a military police officer, which selected the 506 prisoners to be released.

Under the program, each detainee will be released to the supervision of a cleric or tribal leader. Those released face more jail time if they violate conditions of their release, but the guarantors face no legal consequences if their charges commit crimes. They simply promise "responsibility for the good conduct of the individual who is being set free," according to Bremer's statement.

"It's, in effect, a personal bond," a senior military official said.

The coalition officials said they did not know whether the prisoners, who come from a wide swath of Iraqi society, have been able to alert their families of the release. Most eligible detainees are housed in Abu Ghraib, the infamous prison southwest of Baghdad where Saddam Hussein's forces tortured and killed scores of Iraqis.

Coalition officials said the program is timely because it capitalizes on "the momentum" of Saddam's capture last month.

For the past two weeks, military sources have said the volume and value of intelligence in the post-capture period has increased significantly. They declined to elaborate.

———

(Lasseter reports for the Lexington Herald-Leader.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story