McClatchy DC Logo

Suicide attackers strike Karbala | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Suicide attackers strike Karbala

Tom Lasseter - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2003 03:00 AM

KARBALA, Iraq—In the biggest multiple suicide attack in post-war Iraq, four bombers blasted the southern city of Karbala on Saturday, leaving shattered glass and blood sprayed across the streets of one of the holiest cities in the Muslim world.

Twelve Iraqis and six coalition troops were killed, and more than 100 Iraqis and 26 coalition troops were wounded, said Brig. Gen. Marek Ojrzanowski, who commands the multinational military force in the area.

The coordinated attacks began at about 1 p.m. local time and occurred within about 20 minutes of one another, Ojrzanowski said. The first came in front of a Bulgarian military post on the Karbala University campus. A suicide bomber driving a tanker truck laden with artillery shells rigged as a bomb—like the roadside bombs common in Baghdad—set off an explosion just outside the perimeter, killing four Bulgarian soldiers.

A guard shot and killed the driver, but the truck was probably detonated by a remote control device, Ojrzanowski said. Just after the bomb went off, shooters in the area opened up with small arms fire.

SIGN UP

The next attack was at a logistics base in a Karbala suburb that had some 1,000 Polish, Thai and American troops. Two vehicles, probably pick-ups, with similar artillery shell bombs detonated at the outside fence, killing two Thai soldiers at the gate.

Then a bomb was detonated in front of a building that contains the offices of the mayor and a police department precinct. The blast at the main gate killed 12 Iraqis, most of whom were Iraqi police or protective services officers, and wounded more than 100 civilians.

Karbala, 60 miles south of Baghdad, is the site of the shrine of Imam Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad and a martyr to Shiite Muslims, the majority sect in Iraq.

An explosion in Karbala on Nov. 3 killed three Iraqis, and in October there were clashes between Shiite factions in the city. But none of the violence had been on the scale of Saturday's attacks.

While many in town said they blamed fighters loyal to Saddam Hussein, who brutally suppressed the Shiites, it was not clear who was responsible.

Ratep Muhassin, whose son Ra'ad was badly injured by shrapnel to his stomach, said he could barely believe the day had happened.

"I don't know what to feel," he said. "My son can die at any moment."

Iraq as a whole has suffered a wave of violence this past week. For several days in a row, Baghdad was shaken by a combination of insurgents' mortars and rockets and a barrage of artillery fire by U.S. troops. On Dec. 22, a judge was shot to death in the northern city of Mosul, and two U.S. soldiers were killed by a bomb in Baghdad.

On Christmas Eve, a homemade bomb killed a soldier in Baghdad, and there was a car bombing in front of the Interior Ministry in Irbil, in northern Iraq. On Christmas Day, mortars killed two soldiers in Ba'qubah, north of Baghdad. The next day, a roadside bomb killed another soldier in ad Duluiyah, north of the capital.

In Baghdad, the U.S.-led coalition announced $1 million rewards for the remaining 12 most-wanted members of Saddam's former regime. The detained dictator's top aide and trusted confidant, Izzat Ibrahim al Duri, is now the top fugitive in Iraq, with a $10 million reward for information leading to his arrest.

In Karbala, the main hospital posted handwritten lists of the names of dozens of wounded people. A crowd of men jostled in front of it, searching for family members.

Ali Kamel, clutching an ID card, pushed his way to the front.

"I've been looking for my cousin all day," he said. "I keep searching and searching."

Inside the hospital, there was bed after bed filled with Iraqis whose limbs, stomachs and faces were torn by shrapnel and debris.

A nurse, Sa'ad Saleh, said the emergency room treated about 130 people. Most of them were released.

Among the injured was Ali Fathel, who said he was walking to his uncle's house near the coalition base when the bomb there went off. A soldier came running out of the base and saw him running away, Fathel said, and before he could put his hands in the air, the soldier shot him in the thigh.

In another room, Jasim Sukher grimaced as family members helped lift him from a wheelchair into a bed. A construction worker, Sukher was chiseling off some weak plaster in the mayor's office when, he said, "I heard the explosion and then I felt nothing." There were thick pieces of metal in his right wrist and left leg.

His brother, Fathel Sukher, who was working next to him, said glass flew everywhere and "there was so much dust in the air I couldn't see my hand in front of my face."

But he picked his brother up on his shoulder and carried him through the chaos and into the street, past screaming people and burning cars.

———

(Knight Ridder correspondent Hannah Allam contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1000593

May 16, 2007 09:20 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story