McClatchy DC Logo

2nd suicide attack on U.N. compound in Iraq kills officer, wounds 17 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

2nd suicide attack on U.N. compound in Iraq kills officer, wounds 17

Drew Brown and Ban Adil - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 22, 2003 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—A suicide bomber detonated a car packed with explosives outside the United Nations headquarters Monday in Baghdad, killing himself and an Iraqi policeman and wounding 17 people, officials and witnesses said.

The attack was the second on the U.N. compound, which was devastated last month when a large truck bomb killed 23 people, including the top U.N. envoy in Iraq, and wounded more than 100.

Iraqi militants have used bombings and assassinations in an apparent campaign to convince Iraqis that the U.S.-led coalition can't keep them secure, to punish Iraqis who cooperate with the American-led occupation, and to discourage other nations from sending their officials and soldiers to assist the United Nations or the United States.

Monday's incident took place a day before President Bush was set to speak to the U.N. General Assembly in New York to appeal for more international aid and foreign troops for Iraq.

SIGN UP

The bomber detonated an explosive device just after 8 a.m. as police were conducting a security check on his vehicle in a parking lot about 250 yards away from U.N. headquarters, Iraqi police, military officials and witnesses said. Many foreign U.N. workers have left Iraq, but the remaining staff had continued to work at the headquarters, in a former hotel.

"The bomber couldn't get into the compound, so he changed his target to civilians outside the building," said Capt. Sean Kirley, a spokesman for the 2nd Armored Calvary Regiment, which secured the area after the blast. "It was in a parking lot where the Iraqi police congregate before they go to work."

No group claimed responsibility. A policeman who was badly injured in the attack said he spotted the bomber just before the blast.

"I was 2 to 3 meters away, and there was a very big explosion," Haider Khalid Ibrahim, 21, said as he lay in his bed at Yarmouk hospital, one eye covered in a bloody bandage, one leg broken, his body laced with shrapnel wounds. "I am sure he was an Iraqi."

Other witnesses said the bomber was driving a red Opel, the last in a line of a half-dozen cars waiting to get into the parking lot. A policeman approached the car and asked him to open the trunk. As the policeman was looking inside, the car blew up. The driver had made no attempt to flee.

"I was with my cousin, and he was waiting to go inside the U.N. building," said Haider Hussein, 18. "I saw police searching the cars. The red Opel was the last one. When they searched it, it blew up. I was so afraid, I ran away and left my shoes. But now I don't know where my cousin is or even if he is alive."

Most of the injured were members of the U.S.-trained Facilities Protection Service, an Iraqi force charged with providing security at government property and other crucial sites.

U.S. military police sealed off the blast site as ambulances took away the dead and wounded. About three hours after the attack, coalition investigators and Iraqi police poked through the wreckage, snapping photos and looking for clues as to who might have carried it out. The burned-out chassis of the car sat wheels up in a crumpled heap. A severed human arm lay with the debris.

In a short statement, Douglas Brand, the senior coalition adviser to the Iraqi Interior Ministry, condemned the bombing as an attack on innocent Iraqis.

"This is a rather cowardly attack, but it will not keep the coalition forces nor the Iraqi people from stabilizing the country," he said.

It was the latest in a string of deadly terrorist bombings, including a truck bomb at the Jordanian embassy Aug. 7 that killed 19 people; the U.N. bombing 12 days later; a massive car bomb Aug. 29 in the southern city of Najaf that killed a leading Shiite Muslim cleric and 77 other people; a car bomb outside Baghdad's police headquarters Sept. 2 that killed one officer and wounded more than 24 others; and a suicide car bombing Sept. 10 in the northern town of Irbil that killed three Iraqis and wounded four American intelligence officers.

It followed the attempted assassination Saturday of Akila al Hashimi, one of three women on Iraq's Governing Council and a former high-ranking diplomat in Saddam Hussein's regime. Ambushed by gunmen as she left her home, she was shot in the shoulder, leg and abdomen. She remained in critical but stable condition at a U.S. military hospital.

Last week, the U.S.-backed police chief in the town of Khaldiyah, about 45 miles west of Baghdad, was shot and killed, reportedly by militants who accused him of collaborating with U.S. forces. Khaldiyah lies in the so-called "Sunni Triangle" of Iraq, where attacks on American soldiers are frequent, support for Saddam's former regime is strong, and Iraqi militants and foreign extremists are believed to have found haven among some elements of the population.

With many local U.N. staff and nearby residents still reeling from last month's bombing, Monday's blast brought a renewed sense of horror.

"It's more difficult now than during the war itself," said Hanan Yasin, 36, a field manager for the World Food Program, her face ashen with shock after witnessing the explosion. "We feel that we're more of a target these days. It isn't safe at all. Right now, I plan to continue in my job, but if you ask me tomorrow, maybe I will say no."

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20030922 UN Iraq blast

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story