McClatchy DC Logo

Raid illustrates perils of sending soldiers to do police work | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Raid illustrates perils of sending soldiers to do police work

Ken Dilanian - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 19, 2003 03:00 AM

MAHMUDIYA, Iraq—To the American paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division, it was a textbook operation.

To the Iraqi parents who lost their teenage daughter, it was a tragic and inexcusable overreaction.

Like many things about the U.S. occupation of Iraq, a lot depends on who's telling the story.

This much is clear: Two unarmed civilians were killed in the incident Sept. 1 in the dusty town of Mahmudiya, 20 miles south of Baghdad, including a 19-year-old woman who had hoped to attend medical school. They died when U.S. soldiers raked a small apartment with machine gun fire and tossed a grenade into the kitchen.

SIGN UP

The soldiers did that—as they are trained to do, their commander said—after they banged on the door and were shot at from inside.

The shooter was a 16-year-old boy, who said he thought he was defending his home from thieves. Military investigators questioned him for several days and released him.

Beyond those basics, accounts of the incident conflict. But even the simple facts underscore the perils of sending battle-trained troops on police operations, as U.S. commanders must do in Iraq.

The version the Iraqis told amounts to a horror story that infuriates ordinary people here.

"She was crying for help, and I couldn't do anything for her," said a sobbing Malak Salman, 42, the mother of 19-year-old Farah Fadhil, who died after her body was shredded by shrapnel.

The soldiers said they used machine guns and a grenade on the apartment because someone inside wouldn't stop shooting at them. They also took fire from another location within the complex. And they shot an unarmed man as he was running from the building because they suspected he was attacking them.

Iraqis said Fadhil's terrified 16-year-old brother, Haroun al Janabe, fired a single round at the soldiers after they smashed the door with their rifle butts and he heard a shot. The man who was killed, Marwan Hassan, a visitor from Basra, wasn't in the apartment, the Iraqis said, and was running because he was trying to save his brother, who he feared was in the Americans' line of fire.

Several residents of the complex said they thought the Americans were used by someone who hated Fadhil's father, Fadel Hamza al Janabe, a lawyer who was a senior member of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party.

"I can understand why they would shoot back if they were shot at," said Khadar Tuma, 50, a neighbor, as he stood in front of a wall that was pockmarked with dozens of American bullet holes. "But why did they use so much force? Why a grenade? It was an overreaction."

Not at all, said Lt. Col. John P. Johnson, the commander of the 3rd Battalion, 505th Parachute Regiment, out of Fort Bragg, NC.

"I'm very proud of the conduct of my paratroopers," he said.

The battalion had been in Iraq just two weeks when Bravo Company went on a routine night patrol Sept. 1, said the company's commander, Capt. J.C. White.

White, 28, of Kissimmee, Fla., met a reporter at his quarters in a former meat-processing plant, along with the company first sergeant, Wylie Hutchinson, 32, of Chino, Calif.; and the leader of the platoon that conducted the raid, Lt. John McNamara, 22, of Albany, N.Y.

The paratroopers said their unit was walking through the squalid concrete complex near where a U.S convoy had been attacked a few days before. They had no interpreter with them, but a tipster who spoke some English told them he could take them to where "a Baathist Party member was living," Hutchinson said.

As they talked, the soldiers made clear that they didn't realize that most people who live in the complex had belonged to the Baath Party because membership was mandatory for their jobs in a military equipment factory.

They said they approached the apartment, banged on the door and shouted, "U.S. Army."

Almost immediately, they said, shots were fired through the door.

"Once we're engaged, the rules change, and we have a lot of assets at our disposal," White said.

They surrounded the apartment and blasted away. Shooting from inside continued, they said, so they threw in a stun grenade, then an explosive grenade.

As they broke through the door and fired into the house, a propane tank in the kitchen exploded, probably ignited by machine-gun tracer fire, White said. Four soldiers were injured, none critically.

At some point during the shooting, Hassan ran out and they shot him dead, Hutchinson said. "He wasn't armed. He was in the apartment, where weapons were later found," the sergeant said.

They found an AK-47 rifle lying next to Fadhil, who was dead, White said. Hutchinson said they found another rifle, bandoliers of bullets and four empty magazines. He said they also found what he described as pro-Saddam, anti-American propaganda in the apartment.

Asked why the soldiers attacked instead of retreating when shots were fired from the apartment, White said it wouldn't have been appropriate to back down.

"We're just not going to do that," he said. "We're here to help the Iraqi people."

Hutchinson regrets the deaths, but said: "We'd do it the same way tonight if we had to."

Haroun and his mother said they heard banging on the door and heard voices in Arabic, not English. They said they heard what they thought was a shot fired into the door lock.

"We thought they were looters," Salman said. "I picked up the rifle and my son grabbed it from me."

Haroun said: "I fired one bullet and then I threw the gun down and ran to my room."

Salman said her daughter, who had been shot in the leg, crawled into the kitchen.

"They threw a grenade, which blew up the bottle of gas," she said. "The room was filled with fire."

She said she was blown out through a large window and landed in the garden, where bullets whizzed over her head for a half hour or more.

After the explosion, Haroun said, he ran out of the apartment and up the stairs, into another unit.

The soldiers took Fadel Hamza al Janabe and his son in for questioning, then released them.

Al Janabe said he could understand why the soldiers shot back after his son fired. But the U.S. military should admit that it went too far, he said. And he said the soldiers were lying if they said they found more than one rifle in his apartment.

He is disgusted, he said, that the Americans justify banging on his family's door in the middle of the night based on the whisperings of a single individual.

"Yes, I was a high official in the Baath Party," he said "But if this was such a problem, why have they released me?"

There was pro-Saddam literature at his apartment, as there is at many Iraqi homes, but it wasn't incendiary, he said.

"Did they find any documents urging people to fight the Americans?" he said. "They did not."

"I understand the army," he continued. "The gun is blind, and I expect these things to happen. But why can't they act with humanity and admit they were wrong?"

———

(Dilanian reports for The Philadelphia Inquirer.)

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): usiraq-raid

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story