McClatchy DC Logo

Iraqi informant alerted troops to Hussein brothers' whereabouts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Iraqi informant alerted troops to Hussein brothers' whereabouts

Drew Brown and Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 23, 2003 03:00 AM

MOSUL, Iraq—The military operation that resulted in the killings of Odai and Qusai Hussein began around 10 a.m. Tuesday after an unidentified Iraqi informant tipped off U.S. troops the night before that the brothers were staying at a home in Mosul.

According to U.S. commander Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, a senior American military officer who was at the scene Wednesday and Iraqi eyewitnesses, U.S. troops from the 101st Airborne's 2nd Brigade first cordoned off the neighborhood surrounding the opulent two-story house. Then an Iraqi interpreter with a bullhorn called on everyone inside to surrender.

Three men who live in the neighborhood said the owner of the house, Nawaf al Zaydan Muhhamad, and his 16-year-old son, Shalan, came out with their hands up. Several neighbors said Muhhamad, whom they described as about 55 years old, had claimed in the past to be one of Saddam's cousins. American troops hustled them away, placed them against a nearby wall and searched them. Then, according to two neighbors, Muhhamad began shouting.

"He was shouting out at the Americans that he had been hiding Odai and Qusai for 23 days and he was proud of it," said Hussein Yussuf, 33, who lives two houses away.

SIGN UP

U.S. troops arrested Muhhamad and his son and led them away. Some neighbors said they suspected it was Muhhamad who had tipped off the troops and that the arrest was a ruse.

An interpreter again began calling on the bullhorn. According to Sanchez and eyewitnesses, American troops called for about 10 minutes through the interpreter for those remaining inside to come out, but received no response.

"No one came out," said Abas Muslim Ali, 45, a former tax collector who lives about a block away. "So the Americans went through the gate. Some went over the walls. There were more than 20. When they went through the gate, the bullets started shooting. The Americans retreated."

According to Sanchez, U.S. troops entered the house and were met with small-arms fire, most likely from AK-47s. Three soldiers were wounded on the stairs, and another was hit outside the building. The soldiers quickly withdrew.

A senior American military officer at the scene, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the overall operation involved about 200 soldiers, including members of JTF-20, a highly secretive unit made up of Navy SEALs and Army Delta Force commandos who specialize in close-quarter combat.

U.S. forces responded with a fusillade of fire, including machine guns, grenade launchers, Humvee-mounted anti-tank TOW missiles and Kiowa helicopters, which circled overhead, firing 2.75 mm rockets into the building. Spent casings from 5.56 mm rifles and machine guns littered the wide boulevard in front of the house Wednesday.

Ali said a group of soldiers climbed onto a house directly in front of his and launched shoulder-fired rockets at the besieged house.

American troops entered the house a second time, were met again with gunfire and the U.S. barrage continued. Apache helicopters also circled, in case heavier backup was needed, but they weren't used, Sanchez said, for fear of wounding or killing civilians nearby.

The firefight lasted from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Ali and other eyewitnesses said the helicopters fired about 10 missiles at the house during the last hour. Most of the upper floor, which bore the brunt of the assault, was reduced to smoking rubble. Ten large shell holes pockmarked the north side of the house. The senior officer at the scene said that about 10 anti-tank TOW missiles were fired during the fight. Sanchez said three of the four men inside, including Odai and Qusai, probably were killed by the TOW missiles.

Sanchez said U.S. troops stormed the house for the last time around 1:30 p.m. A fourth man was killed. Sanchez refused to comment on reports that the fourth man was Qusai's teenage son. The bodies were flown to Baghdad International Airport, he said, where forensic specialists will conduct autopsies and officials will plan burial arrangements.

Sanchez said no civilians were injured in the operation. But Dr. Riad Hamdi, a specialist in forensic medicine at Mosul's Jumariyah Hospital, confirmed that he had performed an autopsy on one man who had been shot through the mouth and killed, by what several Iraqis claimed were American troops. Two other men were wounded in the incident, treated and released, Hamdi said.

Maan al Ghulami, 43, a civil engineer, said he witnessed U.S. troops firing warning shots over the heads of a group of about 60 to 70 people who gathered to protest the operation and began throwing rocks at four or five Americans who were manning a checkpoint.

The senior U.S. military officer at the scene acknowledged that American troops had fired warning shots, and said one man was wounded by a warning shot that ricocheted into the crowd.

As U.S. troops continued Wednesday to cordon off the site of the operation, crowds of Iraqis clustered on a sidewalk across from the house. They were by turns indifferent and angry.

"He was a good man and a good neighbor," said Marhar Rashid al Khazer, 30, who lives across the street from the house. "And he is Muslim, so we are not happy about it. We saw the Americans take four bodies away, but we don't know who they were."

As the crowd grew, so did its anger.

"At first, when the Americans came, everyone in Mosul supported them," said Mousan Abdullah, 45, an unemployed laborer. "They promised many things, but they have given us nothing but trouble. That's why we hate them and are ready to kill them. Saddam told us that when the Americans came, they would do nothing but steal from us. Now we see he was right."

Within minutes, agitators in the crowd of about 100 began whipping the group into a chant. "Bush, Bush, listen to us," they shouted. "We love Saddam Hussein."

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Saddams sons

GRAPHICS (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20030723 USIRAQ Mosul

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story