McClatchy DC Logo

Iranian-exile group backed by Saddam agrees to disarm | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Iranian-exile group backed by Saddam agrees to disarm

John Sullivan - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 09, 2003 03:00 AM

SOUTH OF JALULA, Iraq—U.S. military commanders reached a tentative agreement Friday with leaders of an Iranian opposition group operating in Iraq to put down their weapons and place themselves under coalition control.

After nearly eight hours of negotiating, U.S. commanders from V Corps and the 4th Infantry Division said the Mujahedeen Khalq, or MEK, have yet to agree on the exact wording of the agreement.

U.S. commanders and MEK leaders agreed to end talks for the day after the secretary general of the MEK said she wanted more time to translate the document U.S. commanders asked them to sign. Talks will resume Saturday morning.

Last month, they agreed to avoid military conflict with U.S. forces and move into containment areas. The MEK are Iranian Shiites opposed to the Ayatollahs and protected for years by Saddam Hussein, who shared their goal of toppling Iran's Islamic regime.

SIGN UP

One sticking point in the negotiation was the term "surrender," which appears in the title of the document. The MEK said the document appeared more like something an Iraqi prisoner of war would be asked to sign.

"They agreed to come under our control, but the term surrender implies a fight, and they are saying there has not been a fight with the MEK," said Lt. Col. Bill McDonald, a spokesman for the 4th Infantry Division. But McDonald said the delay was not an indication that talks were not proceeding as planned, or that the U.S. would not achieve its goal.

"When this is all over the MEK will be disarmed and disbanded as a fighting force in Iraq," McDonald said.

The two-page document calls for the MEK and the Iranian National Liberation Army, both opposed to the Iranian government, to move all their 4,000 to 8,000 fighters to one of four military-controlled areas established during the war and move all operational military vehicles to another.

The MEK has protested that turning over their weapons to the Americans will leave them without defense against the Badr Corps, an Iranian-backed Shiite militia that has been moving freely across the Iran-Iraq border.

U.S. commanders hope a signed agreement will resolve a conundrum for U.S. war planners in Iraq. The MEK agreed to a hasty cease-fire negotiated by Special Forces soldiers when the war began. That agreement only sought to keep the MEK from entering the war and allowed them to keep their weapons.

But U.S. officials could not allow an organization that operated freely under Saddam Hussein and identified by the State Department as a terrorist organization in 1997 to continue to operate in Iraq.

At one point, an MEK leader confided to U.S. commanders that it would be difficult to ask her forces to give up the only life they have known.

"She said she had fought with them for 20 years, had seen a lot of her friends martyred, and that this was the toughest thing she had done in her life," said Col. Fred Rudesheim, commander of the 3rd Brigade.

On Friday night Rudesheim was traveling the rugged undulating hills of the former MEK-controlled areas, making sure his troops were prepared for any possibility. His soldiers took over all the MEK checkpoints in the area Thursday night and placed tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles around four cantonment areas.

Also Friday, he told his commanders to heed reports that Badr forces would try to probe the lines in an effort to disrupt the negotiations.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064):

20030509 USIRAQ IRANIANS.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story