McClatchy DC Logo

Pentagon officials deny manipulation of prewar intelligence on Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Pentagon officials deny manipulation of prewar intelligence on Iraq

John Walcott and James Kuhnhenn - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 04, 2003 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Two high-ranking Defense Department officials Wednesday denied that a special Pentagon intelligence unit manipulated information on Iraq's weapons programs and links to al-Qaida in an effort to build public and political support for war.

In an unusual news conference, Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Douglas Feith and his deputy, William Luti, said the Office of Special Plans was never told to produce evidence that Saddam Hussein's regime had ties to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida organization or that Iraq was hiding chemical and biological weapons it might give to terrorist groups.

"This suggestion that we said to them, `This is what we're looking for, go find it' is precisely the inaccuracy that we're here to rebut," said Feith. " I know of no pressure. I know of nobody who pressured anybody."

Feith's appearance, however, isn't likely to end the controversy over U.S. and British intelligence on Iraq. So far, U.S. troops in Iraq have found no evidence to support some administration officials' pre-war allegations that the Iraqis were hiding chemical and biological weapons and Scud missiles, and no evidence of any operational ties between Saddam and bin Laden.

SIGN UP

The Senate Intelligence Committee has requested documents from CIA Director George Tenet to evaluate the accuracy of intelligence assessments of Iraq's pre-war weapons capabilities. But the chairman of the committee, Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., said it's too early to call for a formal congressional investigation.

He said he wasn't troubled that U.S. soldiers had yet to find weapons of mass destruction. "It could be disposed, it could be hidden, it could be offshore," Roberts said.

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said Sunday that he and Roberts intended to hold joint hearings to assess the credibility of the intelligence information. But after Vice President Dick Cheney on Tuesday asked them not to schedule hearings before reviewing the evidence, Warner and Roberts said hearings would be premature.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Wednesday announced a parliamentary inquiry into his government's case against Iraq after the House of Commons voted down an opposition move to authorize an independent investigation.

Three other administration officials on Wednesday said that while Feith's remarks were accurate, they sidestepped the real issues. The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because U.S. intelligence on Iraq remains classified and because President Bush frowns on revealing dissension within his administration, said the Pentagon office gave far greater credence than did the CIA or the Defense Intelligence Agency to defectors and information provided by Iraqi exile groups, especially the London-based Iraqi National Congress.

These officials, all of whom have clashed with Feith and other Pentagon officials over numerous policy issues, said the INC and its leader, Ahmad Chalabi, told Pentagon civilians that many Iraqi Shiites would greet U.S. troops as liberators, that some Iraqi military commanders would surrender their units en masse and that postwar Iraq would be friendlier than it's been so far.

The Pentagon, the officials noted, sent Luti and other officials to coordinate with Chalabi's forces in northern Iraq, flew U.S.-trained INC militiamen into southern Iraq and then brought Chalabi and his forces to Baghdad.

"The issue," said one of the officials, "isn't whether the Pentagon cooked the books, but whether by giving the exiles access to power despite the intelligence community's strong reservations, they helped some erroneous assumptions find their way into the war plan and the thinking about what we should be prepared to do after the war."

Feith said that while the Office of Special Plans did find ties between Iraq and al-Qaida, they were "incidental" to its mission, which he said was to "educate a lot of people about the fact that there was more cooperation and interconnection among these terrorist organizations and state sponsors—across ideological lines—than many people had appreciated before."

Feith also disputed allegations, first reported by Knight Ridder, that some Pentagon officials favored using an Iranian exile group formerly backed by Saddam, the Mujahedeen Khalq (MEK), to help pressure Iran to stop harboring al-Qaida operatives and halt its support for terrorism.

"There was never such a plan," Feith said. "We will not do that."

Again, rival officials said that while the Pentagon never offered a formal plan to use the MEK against Iran, Pentagon officials did suggest the idea until national security adviser Condoleezza Rice vetoed it, saying the MEK was still a terrorist organization.

"He's right that we will not do that," said one official. "But only because the White House nixed the idea before it ever became a plan."

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story