McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. sending troops to northern Iraq in bid to quell unrest | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. sending troops to northern Iraq in bid to quell unrest

Dion Nissenbaum - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 29, 2003 03:00 AM

SAMARRA, Iraq—Facing continued attacks on U.S. soldiers and a growing number of confrontations between Americans and Iraqis, U.S. military officials on Thursday said they would begin sending more soldiers on patrols in areas where anti-American sentiment is rising.

The decision came as U.S. officials debate whether the U.S. military force in Iraq needs to be larger and to remain in Iraq longer than Pentagon officials had anticipated and whether the U.S. civil administration in Iraq should be overhauled for the second time in a month.

Both issues are to be discussed next week when President Bush visits Qatar, the headquarters of American military operations in the Persian Gulf, to meet with military commanders and with L. Paul Bremer, the top American civilian in Iraq, said a senior U.S. official who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The most recent U.S. military death came on Thursday, when a soldier was shot and killed while riding in a convoy north of Baghdad.

SIGN UP

On Wednesday night, two Iraqi children were killed when the truck they were riding in failed to stop at a checkpoint in Samarra, 100 miles north of Baghdad. Earlier this week, soldiers in Samarra fired on a wedding parade, killing four teenagers.

American officials thought southern Iraq's Shiite population might pose the greatest challenge for the military, but now the most pressing problem appears to be a wide swath of Iraq just north of Baghdad that's home to a large Sunni population that remains sympathetic to Saddam Hussein.

The top U.S. commander in Iraq, Army Lt. Gen. David McKiernan, said the war "has not ended" and described the attacks as combat activities organized by small but determined holdouts of Saddam's regime.

"We are not fighting a conventional army," he said. "Those who oppose the coalition are dressed in civilian clothing and are using terrorist techniques."

McKiernan said more patrols might be needed to deal with a cycle of violence, animosity and misunderstanding.

After a period of relative calm across much of the country, northern Iraq has erupted in a new wave of attacks that has left five soldiers dead and at least 23 wounded in less than a week.

In the small town of Hit, northwest of Baghdad, hundreds of demonstrators angered by aggressive American weapons searches in homes converged Wednesday on the police station where U.S. soldiers were meeting with local leaders.

While some protesters threw stones at the building, participants later said, one demonstrator lobbed a grenade into the compound, injuring two U.S. soldiers. Army officers said troops fired warning shots. Demonstrators said at least one soldier opened fire and injured three or four people.

When the army pulled out, demonstrators ravaged the building, which was left scarred and empty on Thursday.

In the same region northwest of Baghdad, at a checkpoint in Fallujah, two soldiers were killed and nine were wounded early Tuesday when they came under attack from all sides.

"I think somebody forgot to tell the Iraqis that the war's over," said Sgt. Gary Qualls of the Army's 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, stationed at one of Saddam's northern palaces in the heart of the latest flare-ups.

The commander of the 4th Infantry Division, the unit involved in both incidents in Samarra, said Thursday that soldiers were defending against gunfire or threatening actions. Three hours after the wedding party shooting, at least five soldiers were seriously injured by a mortar attack on their compound in Samarra. Army officials imposed a curfew on the city after the attack, and they were investigating the killing of the wedding party teens.

Some people in the town said the latest killings of young people show it's time for American soldiers to leave.

"Bush said, `I am proud of this army.' Is he proud of that army that is thirsty for blood and killing children?" said Arkan al Nissani, a 25-year-old cousin of the children who died in the truck Wednesday night.

Rokan Habib, 42, said he saw a light shining in his face but wasn't expecting a checkpoint. Before he could stop, he said, gunshots rang out and killed his son, Gazal, 9, and his daughter, Nora, 12, and wounded him and another daughter.

Officers with 1st Battalion, 66th Armor, from Fort Hood, Texas, said the truck blew through the checkpoint, narrowly missing two soldiers. Troops shot only after firing warning shots and aiming at the truck tires, officers said.

"You're not seeing bullies. You're seeing guys that protect themselves and their country," said Lt. Col. Ryan Gonsalves.

In Baghdad, there were also incidents that stoked tensions. At a weapons checkpoint near the al Jamhuria (Republican) Bridge, U.S. soldiers forced three men out of their cars and to the ground after discovering an AK-47 rifle and a 9 mm pistol in the vehicle.

"I have lost all my rights. It's a humiliation," shouted one of the three handcuffed men, Ali Bennawi Ali, 40. The other two were his cousins, Ali Fadhil Ali, 38, and Naser Hassun Ali, 30. Each of the men said they needed the weapons for self-defense in their jobs as handlers for an international food organization.

The soldiers said no one was allowed to have a gun unless they had proper permits and that the men were forced to the ground because they resisted being handcuffed.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Maureen Fan in Baghdad, Iraq, contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):USIRAQ.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story