McClatchy DC Logo

Bremer insists Iraq is not in `anarchy,' promises increased security | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Bremer insists Iraq is not in `anarchy,' promises increased security

Dion Nissenbaum - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 15, 2003 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—The former U.S. ambassador brought in to revamp America's foundering reconstruction efforts in Iraq vigorously defended the occupation plans Thursday and rejected suggestions that the United States has allowed the capital to descend into criminal chaos.

With gunshots echoing outside and black smoke from a looted building rising in the distance, L. Paul Bremer III rejected widespread perceptions in Baghdad that the United States is allowing crime to go unchecked.

"This is not a country in anarchy," Bremer said at his first news conference since arriving in Iraq on Monday. "People are going about their business. They are going about their lives."

Bremer's appointment is designed to bring a stronger, more politically savvy hand to America's reconstruction effort. The failure to get a handle on crime has stymied U.S. efforts to push the reconstruction plans along and has cast a pall over the mood of many capital residents.

SIGN UP

"What is happening to our town?" bank manager Ekram Mohammed lamented as she arrived for work Thursday morning after hearing more stories overnight about kidnappings. "Bush said there would be peace, but there is none."

Bremer acknowledged such concerns, but said military forces were preparing to put more soldiers and police on Baghdad's streets to get the problem under control. The former ambassador to the Netherlands denied reports that he had floated the idea of shooting looters to send a new tough-on-crime message.

Part of the plan to increase security and policing is to retain U.S. troops who were deployed earlier this year.

On Thursday, the Army's 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division—amid preparations for returning home to Fort Benning, Ga.—learned that its deployment in Iraq had been reclassified as "open-ended." Brigade public affairs spokesman Maj. Andrey Tymniak said V Corps headquarters, which is supervising the 3rd Brigade's operations, had set no return-home date.

"The only thing we know right now is that we'll be here longer than expected," Tymniak said.

As Bremer spoke, looters a few blocks away were scrambling through the skeleton of the Ministry of Information, which caught fire as they scavenged the ravaged building. Outside, weary U.S. soldiers watched the smoke rise above the building and shrugged. They used to arrest looters and take them to a makeshift detention center nearby, where they would be set free within hours. Now they simply watch the looters from afar and wait for fire engines that never arrive. None of the soldiers had heard that their top commander announced plans Wednesday to hold looters for 20 days.

Along with tackling crime, Bremer announced plans to block key members of deposed President Saddam Hussein's political party from returning to power.

"Those that were on high before, particularly the Baathists who used their power to oppress the Iraqi people, will be removed from office," said Bremer, the new civilian administrator of the Office of Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance.

In the early weeks of its rebuilding effort, the United States has drawn criticism for allowing well-connected members of Saddam's Baath Party to return to positions in key government agencies across Iraq. Such appointments have sparked protests and outrage from Iraqis who view top Baath Party officials as too closely tied to the former regime.

"I think it's a very big mistake not to de-Baathify Iraq, but to re-Baathify Iraq," Entifadh Qanbar, of the opposition Iraqi National Congress, said earlier this week. "The Baath Party will make a comeback if they don't prevent them from doing so."

But the issue remains murky for the occupying forces. Everyone from university professors to top government bureaucrats was required to join the party to move into key leadership positions.

Because of that, the United States has allowed scores of party officials to return to their posts. With key choices coming under fire, however, Bremer said he was preparing to revamp that policy. The details of the plan are being worked out, but the Iraqi National Congress has been urging the United States to bar an estimated 30,000 Baath Party members.

The U.S. Central Command reported Thursday that Ibrahim Ahmad Abd al Sattar Muhammad al Tikriti, the former chief of staff of the Iraqi Armed Forces General Staff and Army, is in custody. He was No. 13 on the U.S. list of the 55 most-wanted Iraqi leaders.

Fadil Mahmud Gharib also is in custody. A former Baath Party official, he was No. 47 on the list.

Elsewhere, U.S. soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division captured about 250 prisoners in an early morning raid at an undisclosed village near Tikrit, Saddam's hometown.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent S. Thorne Harper in Baghdad contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): usiraq+bremer

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story