McClatchy DC Logo

France proposes suspending U.N. sanctions; U.S. rejects inspectors' return | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

France proposes suspending U.N. sanctions; U.S. rejects inspectors' return

Tim Johnson and Diego Ibarguen - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 22, 2003 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—In what may mark a turning point for rebuilding Iraq, France on Tuesday proposed suspending most United Nations sanctions on the war-ravaged nation, a move that would help free up billions of dollars in Iraqi oil earnings under U.N. control.

The surprising offer from France, the most ardent opponent of the U.S.-led war in Iraq, suggested that the Bush administration may have a freer hand to set Iraq on a new course now that a quick war has been won.

Even as France ceded ground, the White House rejected any return of U.N. weapons inspectors to Iraq, saying the nation remains too dangerous. It called on the U.N. Security Council to focus on lifting the sanctions.

"Why should any nation support imposing sanctions on the Iraqi people now? Sanctions equaled Saddam Hussein. Saddam Hussein is gone. It is wrong now to leave sanctions on the people of Iraq. They don't deserve it," White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said.

SIGN UP

At the United Nations, an organization wounded by its inability to agree last month on whether to go to war with Iraq, France's U.N. ambassador signaled that his nation is looking for a compromise.

Ambassador Jean-Marc de la Sabliere said he proposed immediately suspending "civilian" sanctions on Iraq and phasing out the oil-for-food program, which has collected $64 billion in Iraqi oil earnings since 1995 and distributed much of it for humanitarian needs. Civilian sanctions severely limit financial and trade transactions with Iraq.

The French envoy said weapons sanctions would remain in effect until Iraqi disarmament could be verified. Those sanctions limit Iraq's acquisition of biological and chemical weapons and other systems, such as medium-range missiles.

A U.S. official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said of France, "They've moved, but not all the way. At least the French are realizing that they needed to move."

The issue of whether U.N. weapons inspectors should return to Iraq remains crucial. Under Security Council resolutions imposed after Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, U.N. sanctions cannot be suspended until U.N. inspectors say that Iraqi chemical and biological weapons, and missiles to deliver them, have been destroyed.

U.S. troops have scoured Iraq for the weapons of mass destruction that President Bush repeatedly declared were stockpiled there, to no avail so far.

The chief U.N. weapons inspector, Hans Blix, leveled withering criticism at the Bush administration Tuesday, suggesting that Washington and London built their case to attack Iraq last month on "shaky" evidence.

"Of course, it is conspicuous that so far they (coalition forces) have not stumbled upon anything," Blix said, adding that a renewed role for U.N. inspectors would give an "imprint of independence" to the hunt.

But several Bush administration spokesmen said the Security Council could vote to lift sanctions on Iraq without deploying weapons inspectors.

"The Security Council has the authority to decide what to do," said State Department spokesman Richard Boucher, who added that Iraq remains too perilous to allow roving U.N. teams.

A spokesman for U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Negroponte, Richard Grennell, said, "We see no immediate role for Dr. Blix and the (U.N. inspections) team."

The Pentagon has recruited current and former American, British and Australian U.N. inspectors to form a unit that would verify any weapons found.

France joined Russia, Germany and China in opposing the U.S.-led war to topple Saddam. France's change of posture on sanctions may help restart the flow of money to Iraq.

The Security Council is likely to decide in the next several weeks on an on-the-ground authority in Iraq that would be responsible for the resumption of oil pumping and then for oil sales.

The United Nations' oil-for-food program, which oversees the pumping and sale of Iraqi oil, was suspended before the war, and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan was given temporary authority to spend for humanitarian needs some $10 billion in oil proceeds that had been held in escrow from previous sales.

The broader objective of completely lifting all sanctions may take more time, perhaps until Iraqi authorities have assumed control of most aspects of the nation's governance from coalition forces.

Some international affairs experts argue for some kind of United Nations involvement.

"The sooner we can get U.N. flags on the ground doing everything from reconstruction to the establishment of legitimate governance to the search for weapons of mass destruction, the better off we will be," said Robert Galluci, the dean of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University in Washington. "The American flag is in a sense a red flag. Internationalizing this as soon as possible should be our objective."

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Jessica Guynn contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story