McClatchy DC Logo

Bush launches U.S. media campaign in address to Iraqi people | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Bush launches U.S. media campaign in address to Iraqi people

Diego Ibarguen - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 10, 2003 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—President Bush issued a televised address to the Iraqi people Thursday, launching a massive media campaign that includes a daily newspaper and television and radio broadcasts.

It's all part of a campaign to win Iraqi hearts and minds.

"The nightmare that Saddam Hussein has brought to your nation will soon be over," Bush said in the address, which was subtitled in Arabic. "In the new era that is coming to Iraq, your country will no longer be held captive to the will of a cruel dictator," Bush said.

The address, broadcast on the new station Towards Freedom TV, included a similar message from British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

SIGN UP

Both leaders assured Iraqis that the coalition will keep its commitment to eradicate Saddam's regime. "We will help you build a peaceful and representative government that protects the rights of all citizens. And then our military forces will leave," Bush said.

The White House said the media campaign would lay the foundation for a free press in Iraq.

"Free press is a crucial part of free Iraq, and we anticipate that beginning to happen," White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said.

The Department of Defense is running the information campaign. Five hours of TV programming are to be transmitted five days a week from military aircraft and ground facilities to the same stations that previously carried Iraqi state television. Translations will also be broadcast on radio signals.

In southern Iraq, coalition forces were to begin publishing Thursday an Arabic-language daily newspaper called "The Times," with an initial circulation of 10,000 copies.

Fleischer said the information program was an expansion of Commando Solo, a military operation in which aircraft have been beaming radio messages to Iraq, "so the people of Iraq can find out what the truth is."

Because it is controlled by the military—and not by a private nongovernmental body—the program raises questions of whether the content is simply propaganda.

Marvin Kalb, a former CBS newsman who examines media ethics at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government, said that given Iraq's history without a free press, "most Iraqis may believe in any case that journalism works for the government. They might regard it as normal."

Kalb said post-war Germany and Japan had press structures that were initially loaded with pro-Western propaganda. "Within a brief period of time, they understood the difference between a government-controlled media operation and an independent media operation and drifted toward the latter."

Using that example, Kalb said: "It is possible that Iraqi journalists who have never in their history had a free press, maybe for them this is a beginning, a first step, they will begin to understand the difference between the two."

The White House said the various outlets would disseminate news and interviews, and might feature briefings by the coalition governments and rebroadcasts from independent news organizations.

Fleischer rejected suggestions that Iraqis might view the Pentagon-sponsored media blitz as substituting one form of state propaganda for another.

"I think it's entirely appropriate, from the president's point of view, for (the Department of Defense) to be involved in this. It remains a dangerous country, where DOD assets are needed to field these missions. And I think it's best judged by observing the content of what is shown to the Iraqi people. . . . Let them be the judges of that content," the White House spokesman said.

The military media campaign is apparently independent of existing radio transmissions into Iraq under the auspices of the Broadcasting Board of Governors, which already broadcasts independent Arabic language radio news and content into Iraq. Though federally funded, BBG maintains a strict "firewall" between its broadcasts and government policy, seeking to present independent and objective content, spokeswoman Joan Mawer said.

"Our position is the more voices the better. We believe in the free press. Democracy is a variety of voices," Mawer said.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story