McClatchy DC Logo

War protesters now focus on U.S.' attack-first policy | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

War protesters now focus on U.S.' attack-first policy

Frank Davies - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 15, 2003 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Opponents of the war in Iraq, unable to stop a conflict that ended relatively quickly, are trying to refocus their energies by targeting the Bush administration policy of pre-emptive attack.

One mainstream group, Win Without War, announced Tuesday that it will renew efforts to highlight the costs and consequences of the war and prevent a U.S. attack on Syria or other countries.

"We need to do everything within our power to bury the Bush doctrine in Iraq," said Tom Andrews, director of the coalition of 40 groups, including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the National Council of Churches.

The anti-war group is conducting a global petition drive on the Internet (www.winwithoutwarus.org) to mobilize opposition against pre-emptive wars. Andrews said Win Without War is working with similar groups in Britain and Spain, two countries that were part of the coalition of the willing backing the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

SIGN UP

Andrews acknowledged the military success of U.S. forces in Iraq and added that "the Iraqi people, and the world, are better off without Saddam Hussein."

Andrews was joined at a news conference by actor and director Tim Robbins, an outspoken opponent of the war who said allies of the Bush administration are trying to stifle dissent. Last week, the president of the baseball Hall of Fame, Dale Petroskey, canceled a celebration of the movie "Bull Durham," starring Robbins and his partner, Susan Sarandon, because he feared that they would make anti-war statements at the event.

"A chill wind is blowing through this nation," Robbins said. "A message is being sent through the White House and its allies in talk radio and ... Cooperstown: `If you oppose this administration, there can and will be ramifications.'"

A couple of groups that opposed the war used Tuesday's deadline for filing tax returns to highlight their objection to using taxes for the U.S. invasion. Tax "resisters" in several cities said they would not pay their federal taxes.

"It is time for people who believe this war is wrong to realize that in paying our taxes we are funding the very wars we protest," said Betty Scholten, a resident of Washington.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):

Tim Robbins.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):

Tom Andrews.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story