McClatchy DC Logo

Kuwait cracks down on Islamic fundamentalists | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

Kuwait cracks down on Islamic fundamentalists

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 03, 2003 03:00 AM

KUWAIT CITY, Kuwait—Kuwaiti security forces have begun a crackdown on suspected Islamic militants in an effort to head off terrorist attacks against U.S. and coalition troops as war with Iraq looms.

Police have arrested at least a dozen people since last week. Another 150 have had their passports confiscated and have been placed under stricter monitoring, a Kuwaiti official said.

Those targeted in the sweep include "Kuwaiti-Afghans" who fought for the Taliban in Afghanistan and suspected Arab militants who answered the call for holy war in the Balkans, Chechnya and elsewhere. A number are suspected of having ties to al-Qaida.

"We are controlling all the guys who may be suspect," said the official, who asked not to be identified. "It's a precautionary measure. We feel the country is secure, but if anything bad were to happen, it might create a bad impression to the rest of the world."

SIGN UP

The crackdown comes after three Kuwaitis, described by police as suspected al-Qaida terrorists, were arrested last week on charges of planning to attack U.S. and British troop convoys. More than 125,000 U.S. and British troops are massed in Kuwait, and thousands more are expected.

Liberals in Kuwait welcomed the crackdown, saying the Kuwaiti government has been too lax with Islamic radicals for too long.

"We shouldn't have waited until they killed Americans before we realized we have extremists," said Mohammed al Jasem, the executive editor of Al Watan, an Arabic daily newspaper. "We've had extremists here for a long time."

Since October, Islamic militants have shot six Americans, two of them fatally, in three separate incidents. Police rounded up dozens of suspects after each incident, but most were released later.

Twelve Kuwaiti men pleaded not guilty Saturday to charges of collaborating with two gunmen who shot and killed a U.S. Marine and wounded another during a training exercise on Failaka Island last October.

The crackdown comes amid rising anxiety about public security in the event of war. Interior Minister Sheikh Mohammed Khaled al Sabbah warned last week that Iraqi troops plan to kidnap Kuwaiti police stationed on the border. The interior minister and other officials also have warned of Iraqi plots to assassinate leading Kuwaiti figures and blow up oil facilities and other crucial installations.

The accusations carry some credibility. Kuwaiti police recently have arrested three men accused of being Iraqi spies, including a 40-year-old Kuwaiti soldier who allegedly planned to poison the food of American troops.

In a country where nearly everyone carries a cell phone, the Interior Ministry began sending text messages this week over the nation's mobile network. "The security and safety of the country is your responsibility. Be prepared to protect it," said one issued Sunday.

The threat of terrorism against allied troops and thousands of Westerners living in Kuwait has led to tighter security throughout the capital. Armored vehicles and special Interior Ministry troops armed with automatic weapons have become common.

Security also has been stepped up at hotels that cater to foreigners. Police have installed concrete barriers at the downtown Sheraton, in spots once reserved for Bentleys, Mercedes and Ferraris. Elegantly dressed women arriving for late-night wedding parties pass through metal detectors manned by Kuwaiti soldiers in blue camouflage fatigues.

Thirty minutes south, at the Hilton Hotel and Resort, guests must pass through a formidable array of concrete barricades, metal detectors and bomb-sniffing dogs that comb through every vehicle that comes onto the expansive property, home to dozens of U.S. and British soldiers and hundreds of foreign journalists.

Since the last shooting in January, American military officials have imposed tighter restrictions for U.S. soldiers. Small groups of soldiers in civilian clothes were once a common sight at Kuwait's fancy shopping malls and some restaurants, but are rarely seen now.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story