McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. forces step up war preparations | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Latest News

U.S. forces step up war preparations

Peter Smolowitz and Patrick Peterson - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 12, 2003 03:00 AM

DOHA, Qatar—U.S. forces throughout the Persian Gulf stepped up preparations for a possible war with Iraq on Wednesday as the commander of all forces in the region arrived here for what spokesmen said is a stay of "undetermined" length.

Gen. Tommy Franks' purpose at the As Sayliyah base near here officially was described as "previously scheduled meetings" with logistics, intelligence and communications officers.

The refusal of spokesmen to specify how long he would be at As Sayliyah, the operational headquarters, was an indication that fighting could be imminent. On a previous Franks visit, the military was quick to note that he would be leaving after a few days.

Elsewhere, there were other signs of approaching conflict:

SIGN UP

_At Camp Maine in the Kuwaiti desert troops with the 3rd Brigade of the U.S. Army's 3rd Infantry Division were ordered into full battle gear for the first time since they arrived at the outpost a week ago. They were issued live ammunition Wednesday.

_At the Tactical Assembly Area/Champion Main, also in Kuwait, paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne completed the rigging and packing of Humvee attack vehicles and howitzers to be dropped out of airplanes, the last major task needed to prepare the troops to be flown or parachuted into advanced positions in Iraq. Airborne commanders say they are likely to be dispatched to seize airports or Iraqi oil fields.

_At Camp Matilda, another American outpost near Iraq, the commanding general of 20,000 Marines poised here to attack told reporters who will live with his troops that although his forces will wear chemical protection suits and carry gas masks if war breaks out, he believes chemical weapons will be ineffective against U.S. forces.

"Chemical warfare is going to kill more Iraqi soldiers" than Americans, Major Gen. James Mattis of the 1st Marine Division said.

Life in the desert continued to present problems for thousands of soldiers as they readied for orders to move north into Iraq.

Winds of 35 mph whipped up the third sandstorm this week at the Army's Camp Virginia, another outpost near the Iraqi border. Hundreds of soldiers eating a spaghetti dinner in one of three mess tents were ordered out because the tent, billowing in the wind, started to collapse—for the second time in a week. Many of the soldiers, caked with ashen silt and choking on sand, wandered in circles looking for their sleeping tents because of no visibility.

"Any comfort we get out here in the desert turns out to be a mirage," said Sgt. Nathan Muncy, who was caught outside in the sandstorm for an hour.

Mattis' remarks at Camp Matilda were to welcome about 100 journalists who have been bused to northern Kuwait in the past two days to join units of the 1st Marine Division. Mattis said he was still hopeful war could be avoided and stressed that he did not know when a war might begin. "I have no execute order," he said.

Mattis also said his forces are prepared to fight in the cities of Basra and Baghdad if war breaks out but that they will bypass other urban centers that have no military significance.

Mattis compared the possible invasion of Iraq to the 1st Marine Division's World War II assault on Guadalcanal and Tulagi in the Pacific. Although an attack on Iraq will be a similar spiritual and physical test of young Marines, it will not have Guadalcanal's huge casualties or the fierce resistance of the Japanese, he said. More than 3,000 Americans died in the six months of fighting at Guadalcanal in 1942.

Of the Iraqis, "We assume some of them will fight," Mattis said. "Some of them don't want a rematch," a reference to the 1991 Gulf War.

Mattis, who served in the first Gulf War, said the possible presence of civilians on the battlefield would make a second conflict in Iraq more challenging.

"This time we're moving up to Mesopotamia, to the Fertile Crescent," he said. "There are hundreds of thousands of innocent people out there. The whole concept of clear open desert is gone."

He has instructed Marines to protect civilians and surrendering Iraqi soldiers. "Look at it as if it were your own family out there," he said.

He believes the U.S. record of humane treatment of prisoners during the Gulf War will encourage Iraqi soldiers to surrender. The Marines will carry humanitarian rations and have been instructed to be cautious with prisoners and in situations where their own troops might be in the line of fire.

"When in doubt, don't shoot," he said he has told Marines.

Mattis also welcomed the presence of journalists with his units, recalling the famous photograph by journalist Joe Rosenthal of Marines planting the U.S. flag atop Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima during World War II.

"Unsung, the noblest deed will die," Mattis said, quoting an ancient Greek poet.

———

(Knight Ridder correspondents Mark Johnson, S. Thorne Harper, Meg Laughlin and Andrea Gerlin contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTO (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ-MATTIS

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

Suspects steal delivered televisions out front of house

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts
Video media Created with Sketch.

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

By Andrea Drusch and

Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

The Kansas Republican took heat during his last re-election for not owning a home in Kansas. On Thursday just his wife, who lives with him in Virginia, joined Roberts to man the empty Senate.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story