A wounded Georgian woman lies in front of an apartment building, damaged by a Russian air strike, in the northern Georgian town of Gori, on Saturday, Aug. 9, 2008. Fighting raged in breakaway South Ossetia for a second day Saturday as Russia sent hundreds of troops into the separatist province, threatening to bomb more Georgian military bases to stop the bloodshed Moscow said has claimed 1,500 lives. Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, launched a major offensive Friday to retake control of separatist South Ossetia. Russia, which has close ties to the province and posts peacekeepers there to protect citizens with Russian citizenship, responded by sending in armed convoys. (AP Photo/George Abdaladze)
A wounded Georgian woman lies in front of an apartment building, damaged by a Russian air strike, in the northern Georgian town of Gori, on Saturday, Aug. 9, 2008. Fighting raged in breakaway South Ossetia for a second day Saturday as Russia sent hundreds of troops into the separatist province, threatening to bomb more Georgian military bases to stop the bloodshed Moscow said has claimed 1,500 lives. Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, launched a major offensive Friday to retake control of separatist South Ossetia. Russia, which has close ties to the province and posts peacekeepers there to protect citizens with Russian citizenship, responded by sending in armed convoys. (AP Photo/George Abdaladze)
A wounded Georgian woman lies in front of an apartment building, damaged by a Russian air strike, in the northern Georgian town of Gori, on Saturday, Aug. 9, 2008. Fighting raged in breakaway South Ossetia for a second day Saturday as Russia sent hundreds of troops into the separatist province, threatening to bomb more Georgian military bases to stop the bloodshed Moscow said has claimed 1,500 lives. Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, launched a major offensive Friday to retake control of separatist South Ossetia. Russia, which has close ties to the province and posts peacekeepers there to protect citizens with Russian citizenship, responded by sending in armed convoys. (AP Photo/George Abdaladze)

Russian troops flood Georgia as war, casualties escalate

August 09, 2008 12:36 AM

UPDATED August 09, 2008 08:11 PM

More Videos

  • Mexican man whose killing of woman on San Francisco pier launched national immigration debate found not guilty

    Jurors found Jose Ines Garcia Zarate not guilty of murder on Thursday in the killing of Kate Steinle on a San Francisco pier in a case that touched off a national immigration debate. Zarate had been deported five times and was wanted for a sixth deportation when Steinle was fatally shot in the back in 2015. Garcia Zarate didn't deny shooting Steinle and said it was an accident. Before the shooting, the San Francisco sheriff's department had released him from jail despite a federal immigration request to detain him for deportation. Its "sanctuary city" law limits cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. President Donald Trump cited the case during his campaign in a bid to show the country needed tougher immigration policies.