The daily Iraq violence report is complied by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
- Around 8 a.m., gunmen with silencers assassinated Sheik Ismael Abass , the man who wants to have a Sahwa ( awakening ) council in Sha’ab neighborhood (north Baghdad) in front of his house.
- A Multi-National Division - Baghdad Soldier was killed and three others wounded when an improvised explosive device detonated near their vehicle during combat operations in southern Baghdad on Jan. 6, the US army said with no further details .
- Before noon, a suicide bomber wearing a vest filled with explosives targeted the headquarter of Iraq Unity Association at Karrada neighborhood near Finjan restaurants during their celebration of the anniversary of the Iraqi army day having some high rank officers , officials and media .Four were killed ( three soldiers and one civilian ) while eight were injured including a cameraman and a reporter, police and witnesses said.
- Around 1 p.m., a car bomb exploded on the main street of Qahira neighborhood near Qahira restaurant killing 3 people and injuring 15 others.
- Around 2.30 pm., four IEDs exploded in sequence in Nahda neighborhood near the car exhibition killing one person and injuring 4 others.
- Police found ( 6 ) unidentified dead bodies in the following neighborhoods in Baghdad: ( 3 ) were found in east Baghdad ( Risafa bank ); 1 in Sha’ab . 1 in Waziriyah and 1 at Al-Qasim high way near Sleikh . While (3) dead bodies were found in west Baghdad ( Karkh bank) ; 2 in Saidiyah and 1 in Doura.
- Police found four ( heads ) of beheaded men without their bodies at Muqdadiya ( 45 km north east of Baquba.
- Sunday, Iraqi army arrested Sheikh Abdul Wahab , the head of Ubeid tribes in Khalis (15 km north of Baquba).
- At noon, a truck bomb targeted ( Virgin Mary) church at Al-Muhandseen neighborhood in Mosul city injuring five members of one family injured in this incident as their house in next to the church.
- Around noon, a roadside bomb, a roadside bomb targeted a monastery in Mosul city with no casualties recorded.
- Around noon, a truck bomb targeted ( Noor ) church at Al-Noor neighborhood in Mosul city .No casualties recored.
- At 12 p.m., a roadside bomb targeted an American convoy in downtown Tikrit ( 175 km north of Baghdad) .Clashes took place between gunmen who were hiding near the panda ice cream shop and the American patrol having two American soldiers killed in that incident , police said.Also the Iraqi forces defused another IED which was planted in a place of 100 meter distance of the first place. While the US army said two American soldiers were wounded in a grenade attack in the same area having one soldier returned to duty.