The daily Iraqi violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
- Around 10 a.m., a motorbike exploded at Al-Risafi intersection (downtown Baghdad) killing one civilian and injuring 12 others.
- Around 3.30 p.m., a car bomb exploded at Sadreen square ( in Sadr city) killing 5 people and injuring 20 others.
- Around 4 p.m., a roadside bomb exploded near Zafaraniyah petrol station in Zafaraniyah ( east Baghdad) injuring 4 people.
- Around 5.30 p.m., mortars hit the former presidential palaces in Adhemiyah neighborhood ( north Baghdad) . No casualties reported.
- Police found ( 12) dead bodies in the following neighborhoods in Baghdad : ( 9 ) were found in west Baghdad ( Karkh bank) ; 2 in Saidiyah , 2 in Amil , 2 in Bayaa ,1 in Mansour , 1 in Ila’am and 1 in Jihad. While (3) were found in east Baghdad ( Risafa bank) ; 1 in Sadr city , 1 in Sleikh and 1 in Nidhal street .
- Yesterday afternoon , 4 mortars hit 2 houses in Al-Hesewat neighborhood ( north of Garma) which is north of Falluja killing 2 people and injuring 8 others including a woman and a child.
- Around 2 a.m., a roadside bomb targeted an American convoy at Albu Hatem area ( west Falluja) . No casualties reported while an eyewitness said that he saw remains of a destroyed vehicle in the morning.
- Before noon, a roadside bomb targeted an Iraqi army patrol near Sarha bridge ( 40 km south of Kirkuk ) killing 1 soldier and injuring two others.
- Around 8 a.m., the governor of Muthanna ( 270 km south of Baghdad) Mr. Muhammad Ali Al-Hasani was assassinated when a roadside bomb targeted his convoy while he was going to his office in Samawah city ( the governorate capital) coming from his home city in Rumaitha (25 km north of Samawah) . He was killed with two of his companions while two of his guards are injured . A curfew is announced in the city for a further notice. The governor belongs to Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council (SIIC) . This is the second governorate from SIIC to be targets for assassinations within ten days.