The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
- Around 11:30 p.m. on Friday mortar shells landed in Al Fadhil neighborhood. Two were killed and three were injured, all from one family. The family was sleeping on the house roof for lack of electricity.
- Around 11:30 p.m. on Friday a mortar shell landed in Abu Saifien area. Two residents were injured.
- Around 1 p.m. a suicide car bomb targeted an Iraqi army checkpoint in Zayuna. One soldier was killed and 16 were injured (12 civilians and 4 soldiers).
- Police found 19 dead bodies throughout Baghdad (three in Amil, four in Jamiaa, three in Doura, one in Kadhmiya, three in Mansour, one in Ghazaliyah, one in Ealam, one in Ur, one in Sleikh, one in Sadr).
- Around 11 a.m. two roadside bombs exploded in Al Musala area in central Kirkuk, injuring six policemen. The first bomb exploded injuring one policeman; after the arrival of the patrols the second bomb exploded injuring five other policemen.
- On Friday night gunmen in red sedan killed citizen Mohamed Hassan Ali. Police detained a man was with the deceased to investigate the incident.
- Around 10 p.m. on Friday a roadside bomb exploded targeting a passing truck on the main road leading to Al Rashad area north of Kirkuk. 4 civilians were injured.
- Around 3:30 p.m. gunmen using two sedan cars attacked a police checkpoint in Kirkuk. Two policemen were injured. Police patrols chased the two cars and managed to seize one of the cars used by the attackers after they left it.
- Around 8.30 a.m. a truck bomb was parked near a local market at Amerli town, about 35 km south of Tuz Khurmatu, killing 115 people and injuring more than 240. The huge truck bomb leveled more than 35 houses killing many of these families in their houses. The devastated city didn’t witness similar violence before and this is the first attack of its kind in the town.
- An Iraqi army officer was killed in a clash with gunmen in Al Dholouaia area this morning.
- An Iraqi police checkpoint shot at a speeding car approaching their checkpoint in Balad today. A pregnant woman was injured.
- A roadside bomb exploded targeting a civilian car in AL Khuudaira area south east of Balad today. The driver was killed in the incident.
- Tikrit general hospital received 3 inured citizens from Samarra today. The hospital said the injuries due to shooting by Interior Ministry commandos shooting in the city.
- A roadside bomb exploded targeting Iraqi police vehicle east of Kirkuk today. 2 policemen were injured.
- Around 9.30 pm on Friday a suicide car targeted a funeral at Zerkush in Jalwla (north east of Baqouba) killing 22 people and injuring 22 others. 4 others are still missing.