The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
- On Thursday May 31, 2007 gunmen killed Saif Fakhri, an Iraqi journalist working for Associated Press Television in Al Ameriya neighborhood west Baghdad.
- Around 11:30 a.m. an IED exploded in Al Khadra neighborhood targeting civilians. 1 civilian was killed and 2 were injured.
- Around midday mortar shells slammed in Saba Al Bour area. 1 citizen killed and 2 injured.
- Around 1 p.m. an IED exploded in Al Doura neighborhood. The explosion targeted Iraqi national police vehicle. 4 policemen were injured.
- Around 7:30 p.m. five mortar shells slammed into Um Al Maalif neighborhood. 10 residents were killed and 30 were injured.
The following incidents occurred between 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Seven mortar shells landed Al Amil neighborhood, an Iraqi army camp. No casualties were reported.
- Two gunmen were killed in an IED explosion in Al Madaen area. The two men were trying to implant the IED on a main road, police said.
- An IED detonated in Al Hurriyah neighborhood targeting civilians. 3 residents were killed.
- Police found 15 dead bodies throughout Baghdad in the following neighborhoods: 3 in Doura, 4 in Amil, 2 in Bayaa, 1 in Ghazaliyah, 1 in Saidiyah, 1 in New Baghdad, 1 in Hurriyah, 2 in Jihad. Basra
- Four Iraqi police officers were injured in mortar attacks targeted the joint coordination center in Al Hakimiyah area today morning.
- A suicide truck bomb detonated on the west side of Al Shirqat city, Awijiliya area today morning. The suicide driver targeted the house of military Lieutenant Colonel but the truck exploded before reaching the house. 12 civilians were killed and two houses were destroyed. Kirkuk
- Around 2:30 a.m. an IED exploded targeting an Iraqi army convoy in Sulaiman Bek area. 2 soldiers were killed and 5 were injured.
- Around 4:20 an IED exploded in front of a policeman house in Al Urouba neighborhood causing damages to the house, no human causalities.
- Around 11 a.m. an IED explosion targeted a police vehicle in central Kirkuk, one police man was injured.
- Around 11:45 a.m. gunmen attacked an Iraqi army convoy near Al Shajra area on the main road. One soldier was killed and one was injured.
- Around 5 p.m. on Thursday May 31, 2007 gunmen kidnapped 5 soldiers from the infrastructure protecting force in Al Bu Saif village near Al Riyadh area west of Kirkuk.
- Police found one dead body in Kirkuk yesterday. Citizen Khalid Ez Al Deen dead body was found near Al Hussein compartments; the body carried signs of multiple gunshots and was handcuffed