The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
The Roundup of Violence May 31
- Around10.30 am, a roadside bomb exploded at Khadhraa neighborhood( west Baghdad) injuring 3 people.
- Around 11.30 am, a roadside bomb exploded at Baladiyat neighborhood( east Baghdad) when an American patrol passed through this area. No casualties recorded.
-Around 1 pm, gunmen opened fire on police patrol at Jihad neighborhood( south west) killing 1 policeman and injuring three others.
- Around1.30 pm, mortars hit Amil neighborhood ( south west Baghdad ) without casualties recorded. Twenty nine(29) dead bodies were found in Baghdad as the following: 21 bodies in west Baghdad ( Kharkh bank ) ; 4 in Amil , 4 in Bayaa , 3 in Doura , 2 in Jihad ,2 in Saidiya , 2 in Hurriyah , 1 in Jamiaa , 1 in Yarmouk.
While there were 8 bodies in east Baghdad ( Rusafa bank) ; 4 in Fadhil , 2 in Sadr city , 2 in Ur. Anbar ( 110 km west of Baghdad) Fallujah,
At 11:58 a.m. in northeast Fallujah where Iraqi Police, Iraqi Army an U.S. forces were conucting operations 6-10 rounds of small arms fire rained down. Within moments a suicide vest bomber exploded outside a building where Iraqi Police were recruiting for neighborhoo watch groups, according to a U.S. military statement. At least one police officer was killed, six wounde. Two civilians were also wounded, according to the e-mailed statement. Witnesses said the bomber was a teenage boy.
Just after 4:30 p.m. a suicide truck bomb detonated near Iraqi just west of Ramadi. One civilian was killed, seven were wounded along with six Iraqi soldiers, the U.S. military said. The incident is under investigation.
Diyala(66 Km north of Baghdad)
- Early Thursday morning, police found 3 dead bodies for farmers at A'albiat orchards in Khalis city ( 15 km north of Baquba ).
- A curfew is still on ground in Khalis city ( 15 km north of Baquba) after clashes took place yesterday between policemen who were looking for a suspected man from Abali tribe and gunmen from the tribe having three policemen killed by a sniper while two gunmen killed at that day.
Salahuddin ( 175 km north of Baghdad)
Wednesday night, a squad of the emergency police had a raid on Qadisiya , Hamad Shihab , Jamiya and Al-Zihoor neighborhoods with the hotels of Tikrit city ( 175 km north of Baghdad)having 114 suspected in custody who were sent to a joint committee to have inquiry with them.
- Thursday morning, a policeman was injured in Tikrit by a sniper fire while he was on duty at a check point near Tikrit's bridge. Kirkuk ( 255 km north of Baghdad)
- Around 3 pm of Wednesday afternoon, a roadside bomb exploded in front of a policeman's house at Irouba neighborhood in Kirkuk having some damage to the house only.
- Wednesday evening at 7.30 pm, gunmen opened fir on people in Kirkuk at Tisaeen neighborhood nea Kirkuk education directorate injuring two civilians .
- Wednesday night , gunmen opened fire on a sedan car on Kirkuk Biji motor way injuring one civilian and kidnapping an official employee.
- Around 10 50 am, a roadside bomb targeted an army patrol near Siuf roundabout at Arafa neighborhood in Kirkuk injuring two policemen and two people who were accidentally nearby.
Basra ( 549 km south of Baghdad)
- Early Thursday, gunmen killed Dr. Muhammad Aziz, who works as a lecturer at Fine Arts Academy in Basra.
- Thursday morning, a dead body was found for a servant at Usama bin Zaid mosque in Zubair district ( 35 km west of Basra)who was kidnapped Wednesday evening from his neighborhood at Hay Al-Askri in Zubair .