The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Laith Hammoudi in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
- 1 civilian was killed and 5 others were wounded in a parked car bomb explosion in sector No. 75 in Sadr city east Baghdad around 7,20 pm.
- Gunmen killed Brigadier General Ala’a Abdul Razzaq Qasim (a member interior ministry intelligence) and two of hid guards in AL Mada’in town south east Baghdad around 3,30 pm.
- Gunmen killed Colonel Mohammed Shakir, the officer in the directorate of the external roads in the ministry of interior affairs. The incident happened near Buratha mosque in Utefiyah neighborhood north Baghdad around 3,40 pm.
- 1 civilian was killed and 3 were injured when a mortar shell hit Al Rasheed wholesale market south Baghdad around 4,15 pm.
- 3 civilians were wounded when a mortar shell hit Al Jihad neighborhood south west Baghdad around 4,00 pm.
- 4 civilians were injured in an IED explosion in Amiriyah neighborhood west Baghdad around 5,30 pm.
- 1 Iraqi army soldier was killed and 2 others injured in an IED explosion targeted their vehicle in Al Jami’s neighborhood west Baghdad around 6,30 pm.
- 23 bodies were found in Baghdad today. 21 bodies were found in Karkh, the western part of Baghdad in the following neighborhoods (10 bodies in Amil, 3 bodies in Doura, 3 bodies in Bayaa, 2 bodies in Mansour, 1 body in Kadhimiyah, 1 body in Shalchiyah, 1 body in Ali Al Salih). 2 bodies were found in Sadr city in Rusafa, the eastern side of Baghdad.
- An officer in the Iraqi army was injured when an IED exploded targeting a joint force of Iraqi army and the MNF. The explosion happened in the intersection of Kirkuk- Rashad street west of Kirkuk city at 9,30 am police said. The source added that the targeted vehicle was damaged.
- A vehicle of the Iraqi army was damaged in an IED explosion targeted an Iraq patrol near Zghetoon valley on Kirkuk
– Biji street at 9,45 am.
- 3 policemen were injured in 2 IEDs explosions targeting their patrol. The source said that the police patrols responded to a call from one of the farmers who informed about fire in one of the farms near Basheer village today early morning and while the police patrols were in the way to the place, the two IEDs exploded causing the injury of the policemen.
- A source in the Iraqi police in Hawija district (45Kms west of Kirkuk) sadi that the head of the judicial committee of Hawija had survived from an assassination attempt implemented by gunmen who shot his convoy near Al Khan village on the street of Kirkuk- Hawija north of Baghdad before mid day. The source said that 3 gunmen were killed and one of the guards of judge was killed while two others were injured.
- A source in the joint operation center of Tilrit city said that 4 costume officers are probably kidnapped while they were going to work. The source said that the officers had disappeared in the area between Taji and Samarra north of Baghdad yesterday.
- A source from Aswat Al Iraqi news agency said that 3 gunmen driving a sedan shot dead the correspondent of Aswat Al Iraq new agency Abdul Wahid and 5 other journalists near Al Aroosa hotel downtown Umara city south Iraq around 11 pm yesterday night. The source said that Abdul wahid was killed in the incident while the other journalists survived.
- the commissioner of Khalis town (15 Kms north of Baquba) said that a total curfew on the movement of the cars and people started from today early morning until a further notice after the heavy clashes of Al Nahar district in Al Gharbiyah neighborhood downtown Khalis town between the netiopnal police and gunmen which led to the death of 3 policemen and tow gunmen.
The town commissioner Uday Al Khadran said that the police had orders to arrest one of the wanted men from Al Ably family and when they arrived the place, they were attacked by a sniper which led to the death of 3 policemen. He added that the situation developed when a bother of one of the killed policemen broke in the hospital where tow snipers were taken and he killed them.
After that many gunmen related to Al Ably family spread in the town and heavy clashes happened which required the involvement of the Iraqi army and the MNF.