The Iraq violence report is compiled daily by McClatchy Newspapers in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
- At 1 am., a roadside bomb exploded when an Iraqi army patrol passed through Jami'aa neighborhood injuring four soldiers with some damage to their vehicle.
- Local authorities and the U.S. military gave conflicting accounts of an incident near the Habibiya hospital in east Baghdad early Saturday. Lt.Col. Christopher Garver, a spokesman for the U.S.-led multinational force, said U.S. and Iraqi troops detained a suspected terrorist cell leader and fought off an ambush as they moved to leave the area. Local authorities said the troops had mistakenly fired on cars moving into a line for gasoline, and that two people were killed and five were injured.
- After mid-day, a car bomb exploded at Bayaa neighborhood (south west Baghdad ) killing 4 people and injuring 25.
- A few minutes later, mortars hit Bayaa neighborhood (south west Baghdad ) killing 2 people and injuring 40.
- The following incidents took place between 4 pm and 8 pm :
- A roadside bomb exploded at Mansour neighborhood ( west Baghdad ) near Al-Azaim restaurant killing one civilian and injuring three.
- A mortar shelling hit Mahmoudiya district ( south of Baghdad ) injuring three people.
- Mortars hit Haifa neighborhood ( near the downtown of the city) injuring two people.
- Two police vehicles were ambushed by gunmen leaving three dead policemen and 6 injured.
- Gunmen opened fire on a checkpoint near Adhamiya neighborhood injuring one soldier.
- Mortar shelling hit Sinaa sport club ( east Baghdad ) injuring 8 people.
- 20 dead bodies were found in different parts of Baghdad as the following: 10 in west Baghdad (Kharkh bank) -- 2 in Jihad, 2 in Shulaa 3 in Amil, 1 in Bayaa, 1 in I'lam, 1 in Toubchi. 10 were found in east Baghdad (Rusafa bank) -- 2 in Madayin, 2 in Suleikh, 2 in Jamiyla, 2 in Jisr Diyala, 1 in Ur, 1 in New Baghdad.
Kirkuk police reported the following incidents on Satudday, some from Friday evening:
- Around 7:10 pm of Friday, police found a body of a new police recruit near Hanaf village of Abassi district (south west of Kirkuk).
- Around 7:50 pm Fridayg, police found 3 dead bodies in Rubaidha village of Daqouq district south of Kirkuk. Two were men workers while the third was a boy whose age was only six.
- Around 10:50 pm of Friday, a roadside bomb targeted a joint patrol for the Iraqi and multi forces near the power supply office at Hawija district ( west of Kirkuk) having two policemen injured .
- Around 7 am, a roadside bomb exploded when a civilian car passed through Kirkuk–Dibis route near Chirakh village injuring two of the civilians with some damage to the car.
- Around 4 pm, police found a dead body inside a car which was burning when police arrived to extinguish fire on the main way that leads to Abu Uluk cemetery in the downtown of Kirkuk city. Eyewitnesses said that there were a man and woman inside the car, but they left the car after burning it .
-Around mid-day, three dead bodies were found in three different parts of Diyala taken to Baquba morgue.
- Saturday afternoon, gunmen killed two people one of them was a woman at Muqdadiya district ( 45 km north east Baquba) near the youth centre of the city.
Salah ad Din
- Before mid-day, a police officer (a captain) was killed by gunmen on the highway of Tikrit–Dour.
- Around 12.30 pm, gunmen killed the commander of Iraqi police battalion ( Hais Al-Jibouri ) in Salah ad Din province on the main motorway between Salahuddin- Mosul south Shurqat ( north of Tikrit)
- Friday night, a gunman was killed and two injured during clashes with British forces, which had got three injures.
- Early this morning, members of Mahdi Army attacked a headquarter of the combined forces at Al-Hakimiya neighborhood downtown Basra city . Clashes between both sides lasted for hours using different kinds of weapons. Four members of Mahdi Army killed and four others injured while only a British soldier was injured with great damage to the building.