The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Mohammed al Dulaimy in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau. Baghdad
- Gunmen attacked an Iraqi army check point killing one soldier this morning in Abu Ghreib (west Baghdad).
- Around 11 a.m. an IED exploded in Al Hurriyah neighborhood targeting an American convoy after the blast the convoy started to shoot killing 2 and injuring 6, Iraqi police said.
- Around 5 p.m. Gunmen attacked an Iraqi police convoy on Baghdad airport road killing one policeman.
- Around 7 p.m. a parking car bomb exploded in Al Tobchi neighborhood near the traffic dept. building and in front a soccer field. The blast killed 2 civilians and injured 5 mostly from the soccer field.
- On Thursday, May 17 gunmen killed two Iraqi journalists working for ABC News, Baghdad bureau. Alaa Uldeen Aziz and soundman Saif Laith Yousuf were killed as they were driving home.
- Police found 25 dead bodies in Baghdad. The following is the number of dead bodies per neighborhood: 2 in Ghazaliyah, 3 in Jamiaa, 4 in Doura, 4 in Amil, 4 in Bayaa, 2 Shurta Rabiaa, 1 in Salhiya, 2 in Jihad and 1 in Sadr.
- Gunmen attacked an Iraqi police patrol in Al Wajihiya town. One police officer, captain, was killed and 2 policemen were injured.
- The morgue of Diyala hospital in Baqouba received today 15 dead bodies. 9 dead bodies were found today and the other 6 were in Al Khalis hospital morgue.
- On Thursday May 17, 2007 Gunmen stole 1 billion and 750 million Iraqi dinars from a committee received the money from Al Rafidein bank in Baqouba. The stolen money was allocated for the social care program. The committee that received the money from the bank was stopped by six gunmen in two cars and took them off the main road, took the money and the committee (two employees) along with their bodyguards were released.
- Mortar shelling on Abu Dhaba village. One resident was killed and 5 were injured including children.
- Around 10:30 a.m. an IED exploded targeting police patrol in Al Kurnish street in Kirkuk city causing no human casualties.
- Gunmen killed a Kurdish Iraqi army officer of the third brigade, 2nd battalion, first lieutenant Aku Shukr Saber on the road connecting Shawan area and Wadi Sur area near Kirkuk city. Two battalions of the third brigade from Sulaimaniyah are serving in Kirkuk.