How is the first shutdown of the federal government in 17 years hitting American manufacturing?
In five different ways, the Alliance for American Manufacturing said today.
1. Companies that are waiting for regulatory approval from the federal government are having a hard time exporting their goods.
2. About 97 percent of NASA's 18,000 employees are furloughed, with repercussions that "aren't even quantifiable yet."
3. The government doesn't have enough employees to attend major trade negotiations.
4. Routine inspections and other agency functions have ceased, including at the Food and Drug Administration.
5. The shutdown and furloughs could harm the U.S. cyber security system and its ability to defend U.S. computer networks.