A man is believed to have blown off his hand when a homemade firework exploded while he and another man were trying to make a stronger one.
The explosion happened about 10:50 p.m. Monday in the 3100 block of Southeast Third Street in Blue Springs. Police had received a report saying that several people were injured.
When Blue Springs police and firefighters from the Central Jackson County Fire Protection District arrived at the scene, they found a 21-year-old man with extreme injuries to his left hand and arm. He also injured his right eye.
Another 21-year-old man was also injured along with a woman who was in the home at the time.
The explosion occurred while the two men were attempting to make an improvised explosive device by wrapping multiple sparklers together with electrical tape. The device unexpectedly detonated causing the injuries, police said.
Read the complete story at kansascity.com