RALEIGH - State officials said Wednesday they fired three Cherry Hospital employees and disciplined others after the death of a mental patient who went without food or water for more than 22 hours.
The man's widow said she cannot believe the Goldsboro hospital is still open.
Steven H. Sabock, 50, who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, died April 29 after he choked on medication, hit his head and was left in a chair. Hospital employees played cards and watched television nearby. Security camera footage released Tuesday proves some Cherry employees falsified records and lied to investigators in an attempt to cover up negligence in the death.
Read the full story at newsobserver.com.