Victims of the Navy Yard shooting and their immediate relatives are now receiving free legal assistance from a newly created team of lawyers.
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said the legal aid from Navy judge advocates includes counseling on life insurance for the relatives of the 12 victims who died. Wounded victims can receive advice on health insurance and other benefits.
Victims and their relatives can receive assistance between the hours of 8 am and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Those interested in more information can call 202-685-8382.
A private memorial service will be held Sunday at 5 p.m. to honor the following victims:
- Michael Arnold, 59, of Lorton, Va.
- Sylvia Frasier, 53 Waldorf, Md.
- Kathy Gaarde, 62, of Woodbridge, Va.
- John Roger Johnson, 73, of Derwood, Md.
- Frank Kohler, 50, of Tall Timbers, Md.
- Kenneth Bernard Proctor,46, of Waldorf, Md.
- Vishnu Shalchendia Pandit, 61, of North Potomac, Md.
- Arthur Daniels, 51, of Southeast, Washington, D.C.
- Mary Francis Knight, 51, of Reston, Va.
- Gerald L. Read, 58, of Alexandria, Va.
- Martin Bodrog, 54, of Annandale, Va.
- Richard Michael Ridgell, 52, of Westminster, Md.