DURHAM, N.C. — Crystal Mangum, the woman who was at the center of the Duke University lacrosse scandal, was charged with stabbing a man early Sunday at a South Durham apartment.
Police charged Mangum, 32, with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, according to a statement by the Durham Police Department.
Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said officers were dispatched to a stabbing call at 3507 Century Oaks Drive at 3:15 a.m. Sunday.
When the officers arrived, they found a 46-year-old man who had been stabbed in the torso.
By late Sunday, police had not released the name of the male victim, who was described as Mangum's boyfriend.
The stabbing apparently occurred during an argument between the couple, police reported.
The victim was taken to Duke Hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
Officers found Mangum in a nearby apartment. She was arrested and taken to the Durham County jail. She is being held in custody without benefit of bail, authorities said.
Five years ago, Mangum accused members of the Duke lacrosse team of sexually assaulting her while she was working as a stripper for an escort service.
The accusations were eventually labeled as false and the case was dismissed by state Attorney General Roy Cooper, but not before the case garnered nationwide attention.
To read the complete article, visit www.newsobserver.com.