It's not a new phenomenon: Put kids together with aerosol sprays, matches or lighters, and you sometimes end up with homemade flamethrowers.
But there's a dangerous new twist with Axe Body Spray, a cologne popular among young people. And it's being whipped up by Internet videos.
Five Federal Way sixth-graders lit themselves or their clothes on fire by igniting body spray while at school over the last few weeks, school officials said Monday.
None was injured, and there was no damage. All were temporarily expelled, Federal Way School District spokeswoman Deb Stenberg said.
The incidents occurred between Feb. 23 and March 24 at Saghalie and Lakota middle schools. Two of the fires took place in a classroom; one was on a school bus. Superintendent Tom Murphy issued an alert to parents and guardians, warning of the danger.
Specifically, kids are using Axe Body Spray "to light themselves or their clothing on fire," he wrote. "YouTube videos and news reports show the dangerous activity is being practiced across the world," he added.
Read the complete story at thenewstribune.com