1. A Republican candidate for a U.S. Senate seat, a retired Marine Corps colonel, stands to get a boost for his business, air charter firm CSI Aviation, from the border crisis underway involving children from Central America crossing into the United States unaccompanied by a parent or adult. Which state is the candidate seeking to represent in Congress?
D. New Mexico
2. Scientists discovered vials of the smallpox virus in an unused storage room at the National Institutes of Health campus in Bethesda, Md., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced. The CDC then just days later announced the closing of some of its labs around the country after incidents in the past decade of mishandling of other human pathogens was discovered. Which other federal agency was involved in finding the apparently forgotten smallpox vials, dated Feb. 10, 1954?
A. Veterans Administration
B. National Institute of Standards and Technology
C. Food and Drug Administration
D. U.S. Army Biological Warfare Laboratories
3. British actor David Legeno, who played werewolf Fenrir Greyback in the Harry Potter film series, was found dead in a remote area of which U.S. national park?
A. Grand Canyon
C. Mount Ranier
D. Death Valley
4. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, captive for five years in Afghanistan until his May 31 exchange for five Taliban prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, has finished U.S. military-led reintegration and been assigned to an army unit in Texas to resume his military service. Where is he posted?
A. Fort Hood
B. Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Houston
C. Fort Bliss
D. Camp Bullis
5. According to the China Daily newspaper, a 26-foot tall sculpture in the likeness of Hollywood icon Marilyn Monroe was removed in June from its base in a small Chinese city, where it had been erected in the hopes of luring renters and shoppers. It has been photographed face down in a garbage heap in an image that has made the rounds on the Internet. It is not the Seward Johnson sculpture that has made the rounds of U.S. cities, though. Where is the Johnson sculpture currently sitting?
A. Hamilton, N.J.
B. Palm Springs, Calif.
C. San Diego, Calif.
D. Key West, Fla.