Hagel blasts Congress on defense cuts

Posted by James Rosen on November 5, 2013 

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel speaks with the crew of the USS Stethem last month in port at Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan DOD photo by Erin A. Kirk-Cuomo.

ERIN A. KIRK-CUOMO — Department of Defense

 

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Tuesday sharply criticized Congress for imposing spending reductions on the Pentagon that he warned risk have serious impacts on U.S. military power.

Hagel, the highest-ranking Republican in President Barack Obama's Cabinet, said his department has absorbed $500 million in forced cuts under the congressionally imposed sequester system, along with an additional $487 billion in reductions required by a 2011 deal to raise the federal debt ceiling.

"These cuts are too fast, too much, too abrupt and too irresponsible," Hagel said in an address to the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Hagel also criticized lawmakers for the temporary funding measure it passed last month -- called a "continuing resolution" -- in order to end the partial government shutdown Republicans forced over Obama's signature health-insurance law.

"We are operating under a continuing resolution which continues to present DOD with one of its most difficult challenges -- uncertainty," Hagel said. "DOD cannot responsibly, efficiently and effectively plan, strategize and implement national security policies with this cloud of uncertainty continuing to hang over it."

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service