Before shootings, Belcher spent part of morning at another woman's apartment

Kansas City StarDecember 4, 2012 

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher spent part of the night at another woman’s apartment and stayed until 6:30 a.m. Saturday before going home, killing his longtime girlfriend and later himself, Kansas City police said today.

Police officers had contact with Belcher outside of the woman’s apartment about 2:50 a.m. after someone called 911 to report a suspicious car that had been in the parking lot for about two hours.

Officers arrived at the apartment in the 700 block of Armour Boulevard, found the car, a black Bentley, and saw a man sleeping in the driver’s seat. The officers knocked on the window, woke the man — later identified as Belcher — and asked him what he was doing. He told officers he was waiting for his girlfriend to come home.

The officers asked Belcher to call his girlfriend and Belcher made a call. A short time later, a woman showed up at the apartment door and let Belcher inside. The woman waved at police, who then left because Belcher had no outstanding warrants and had committed no crimes. Police said he was very cooperative and may have consumed some alcohol but did not appear inebriated.

Two women who live in the apartment building, apparently neighbors of the woman Belcher was trying to visit, told police that Belcher stayed at their apartment until 6:30 a.m., when they woke him. The women said Belcher had asked them to wake him so he would not be late for a team meeting at 9:30 a.m.

Belcher, 25, apparently left the women’s apartment and drove to the 5400 block of Crysler Avenue, where he shared a home with his longtime girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, 22.

The couple had a confrontation after he arrived home. His mother, who was staying with the couple, heard yelling and gunshots. Perkins was shot nine times, according to sources close to the investigation.

Belcher then drove to the Chiefs practice facility near Arrowhead Stadium, where he talked to Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli, head coach Romeo Crennel and linebackers coach Gary Gibbs before shooting himself once in the head.

Police revealed today that two handguns were used in the killings: one gun at the home and another at the stadium parking lot.

Belcher bought both guns locally, police said. He purchased one in 2010 and one in 2011.

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service