Sierra snow so far this year has been scarce. Average snow depth in the Sierra Nevada currently stands at 1.4 inches, more than 95 percent below the average snow depth at this time last year. The lack of snow is hurting the region's ski resorts. And while it's too early to declare a dry year, the current snowpack is much shallower than it was at this time during any of the recent drought years. Farmers and millions of others depend on the snowpack for water.
- 'Birdman' nabs top prize at Producers Guild of America Awards
- Bomb threats issued to 2 airliners bound for Atlanta; no danger found
- CDC garners favorable response in Pew survey
- Obama renews attempt to close Guantanamo prison
- Islamic State demands release of woman held in Jordan for life of Japanese hostage
- New Saudi king not expected to change oil prices, women’s rights
- Are Muslim Uighurs fleeing China to join the Islamic State?
- Libya oil production plummets as tribes fight to control field in south
- Special Projects