Sierra snow so far this year has been scarce. Average snow depth in the Sierra Nevada currently stands at 1.4 inches, more than 95 percent below the average snow depth at this time last year. The lack of snow is hurting the region's ski resorts. And while it's too early to declare a dry year, the current snowpack is much shallower than it was at this time during any of the recent drought years. Farmers and millions of others depend on the snowpack for water.
- Clinton vows to do more than Obama to protect immigrants
- McConnell moves to end debate on Iran nuclear bill
- Rubio to burnish foreign policy credentials in NY speech
- Monuments Men author secures return of five missing paintings to Germany
- Feds agree to help diversify Outer Banks’ wild horses
- Audit finds aging inmates a big burden for federal Bureau of Prisons
- Islamic State embrace of Texas attack is first claim of action in U.S.
- California lawmakers push for new VA clinic
- In German town Allies helped, no love for new war refugees
- A Kosovo father recounts harrowing trip to retrieve sons from Syria
- U.N.’s latest effort to find path to peace in Syria gets underway in Geneva
- 2 dead as Mexican offshore oil rig collapses in Gulf in second major mishap in weeks
- Special Projects