'Promising' lead in Lisa Irwin case fizzles out

The Kansas City StarOctober 19, 2011 

An intensive search Tuesday of woods a few blocks from where 11-month-old Lisa Irwin disappeared turned up nothing substantial, police said.

“It was a lead we developed that unfortunately did not pan out,” said Kansas City Police Capt. Steve Young.

Midmorning, high-ranking police, federal investigators and crime-scene technicians descended on the woods at 34th Terrace and North Brighton Avenue. As the afternoon wore on, the number of police and FBI investigators grew. Two crime-scene vans — one with a trailer — arrived, and officers carried evidence bags and dirt-sifting equipment into the wooded area.

But about 4 p.m. authorities began leaving the site.

“It may have been promising for a minute,” Young said. “We are trying to do it right and doing all of what we can.”

The location is one of many around the family’s home in the 3600 block of North Lister Avenue that authorities have searched since Lisa vanished Oct. 4.

In other developments Tuesday:

•Young said Tuesday night that police had obtained a search warrant to go inside Lisa’s home. The warrant bars the family from entering the home until the warrant has been executed. Police have been in the house before but always with the family’s consent, Young said.

Young declined to say why the police needed to get the warrant. The family’s attorney, Joseph Tacopina, said Monday that the family had given police signed consent to search the home.

•Authorities were looking for two women who had a baby that resembled Lisa at a Manhattan, Kan., restaurant but later determined the girl wasn’t Lisa.

Young said it was one of many tips police have received from outside the area.

“We have followed tips from all over the country, and if we get one that is not local, we contact the agency where it is, and they look into it for us,” he said.

•Fox News Channel aired more of an interview that Lisa’s parents, Deborah Bradley and Jeremy Irwin, did Sunday on “America Live.” In the new segment, Bradley told Megyn Kelly she thought police had lied to her to elicit a confession.

Bradley, who has said several cellphones were missing from their home along with their daughter, said police told her a call was made on one of the phones at 2:30 a.m. Oct. 4, when Lisa disappeared.

To read the complete article, visit www.kansascity.com.

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service