Georgia man electrocuted while trying to take copper

Columbus Ledger-EnquirerSeptember 27, 2011 

An Opelika, Ala., man authorities say was trying to take copper from a power pole electrocuted himself on Friday in Chambers County.

Gary Wayne Hamby, 46, died after he was taken to the George H. Lanier Memorial Hospital Friday afternoon, Chambers County Sheriff Sid Lockhart said.

Authorities say they were called about the electrocution at 2 p.m. CDT Friday. They began investigating and learned Hamby was trying to take copper wire from a power pole while using a tree stand when he was electrocuted.

Read the complete story at ledger-enquirer.com

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service