U.S. Attorney Holding to leave after John Edwards case

The (Raleigh) News & ObserverJune 2, 2011 

The top federal prosecutor for the eastern third of North Carolina is expected to be replaced upon conclusion of the investigation of former U.S. Sen. John Edwards, whose actions are under review by a grand jury.

If there isn't a plea deal, Edwards could be indicted as soon as this week, marking the beginning of a pre-trial phase for the case.

George E.B. Holding, a Republican, has been the U.S. attorney in Raleigh since his appointment by President George W. Bush in 2006 - and he has remained in the post under an agreement involving North Carolina's two senators to allow the probes of Edwards and former Gov. Mike Easley to finish on Holding's watch.

Edwards and Easley are Democrats, and the senators agreed to let Holding see the probes through to eliminate any questions about stifling the probes by removing the top prosecutor. Easley pleaded guilty to a felony last year in state court, ending the federal interest in him.

President Barack Obama has already nominated a replacement, Thomas Walker of Charlotte, who still must be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

Sen. Kay Hagan, a Democrat, said in a statement Wednesday: "I am looking forward to (Walker) being the next U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District - as soon as the investigation is complete."

Sen. Richard Burr, a Republican, has been "aware of the progress being made" and also backs Walker for the job, said a spokesman, David Ward.

The senators had used a procedure known as withholding a "blue slip" to keep Walker's nomination from advancing. Burr "will return his blue slip once it is clear that all investigations have been completed," Ward said.

Neither Hagan nor Burr would publicly elaborate on precisely when they would take action to begin confirmation of Walker for the post.

Obama has the authority to ask Holding to step down at any time, aside from the nomination process to replace him. An acting U.S. attorney would step in on an interim basis.

The White House has generally been deferring to the Senate process of replacing U.S. attorneys.

To read the complete article, visit www.newsobserver.com.

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service