U.S. returns Guantanamo detainee's remains to Afghanistan

The Miami HeraldMay 23, 2011 

The military has repatriated to Afghanistan the remains of a 47-year-old Guantánamo captive who apparently committed suicide with a bed sheet at a prison camp for compliant captives.

The Pentagon called him Inayatullah, and held him as a suspected senior al Qaeda member in Iran. He was transferred to Guantánamo in September 2007, the second-to-last captive ever sent there.

His attorney, Miami federal public defender Paul Rashkind, said the man’s name was Hajji Nassim, that he ran a cellphone shop in Iran and was mistaken for someone else when he returned to Afghanistan several years ago to renew his travel documents.

His death and departure left the prison camps census Sunday at 171 foreign men from about two dozen nations — including 47 men designated as indefinite detainees by the Obama administration, four convicted of war crimes, and eight more designated to face criminal charges.

At the Pentagon, Army Lt. Col. Tanya Bradsher said Saturday, three days after he was discovered hanging by the neck with what appeared to be bed linen, that his remains had been sent back to his homeland. No other details were immediately available.

It was not known over the weekend whether the man’s remains had left the base before a delegation of members of Congress toured the detention center on Friday to get what Rep. Leonard Lance, R-N.J., described in a press release as classified briefings.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service