BAGHDAD — The UN has called on Iraq to conduct an independent investigation into the killings of 34 people at an Iranian opposition base after Iraqi authorities, who authorized a raid on the camp, suggested that the group might have executed its own members.
Wildly conflicting accounts of how the members of the Peoples Mujahadeen Organization of Iran (PMOI) were killed have highlighted the dilemma over the last remaining stronghold of the group invited in by Saddam Hussein and disarmed by the United States.
The United Nations statement issued late Saturday said it expected a commission of inquiry pledged by the Iraqi government to be independent. The commission planned by the government, however, will include prime ministry and Iraqi military officials as well as a cross-section of political parties and is unlikely to meet that requirement, according to Iraqi government officials.
Iraqi government spokesman Ali Dubbagh said earlier this week that some of the dead were likely executed by camp leaders trying to prevent them from leaving.
An advisor to Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki, Saad al Muttalibi, said forensic tests, which included some by US experts, have been completed on the bodies to determine whether a medical teams initial findings had been correct.
They were shot execution-style, Muttalibi told the Monitor. The first medical reports indicated they were shot at very close range _ gunpowder was found on the wounds.
He also said they appear to be have been shot with handguns rather than the rifles used by the Iraqi military.
The UN earlier this week confirmed it had seen 28 bodies in a visit to the camp and knew of six others. It said dozens more had been injured in the operation before dawn on April 8 when Iraqi forces moved in to reclaim part of the huge base 70 miles north of Baghdad.
The UN said in the statement that it had repeatedly urged the Iraqi government to refrain from the use of force.
The Iraqi government initially said three PMOI members had been killed in the military operation and said they were crushed by moving vehicles. It denied that Iraqi soldiers had fired at protestors trying to stop the soldiers from moving into an area that houses the organizations cemetery.
Speaking to reporters taken to Camp Ashraf after the raid but barred from talking to camp members, Iraqi military officials displayed slingshots and homemade weapons they said the PMOI had used to attack Iraqi soldiers. Women, they said, had tried to gouge out the soldiers eyes.
Video released by the group, heavily edited and impossible to verify, appears to show Iraqi soldiers firing weapons as well as armored vehicles crushing some of the demonstrators. Another PMOI video released last week showed rows of bodies, many of them women, wrapped in white sheets and laid out as martyrs on the pavement inside the camp.
Iraqi officials say almost one-third of the more than 3,000 people at Camp Ashraf have foreign passports, including Americans and many Europeans. It was not clear whether they were among the dead. Some diplomats say although 1,000 of the camp residents have ties to countries in the West, the number with foreign passports is much smaller.
The United States considers the PMOI a terrorist organization. While Iraq has made clear it intends to shut down the camp by the end of the year, members of the cult-like organization refuse to leave and other countries are reluctant to take them.
The Iraqi government has been under intense pressure from Iran for years to close the camp.
Camp Ashraf was the main military base of the organization invited by Saddam Hussein into Iraq to launch attacks on Iran in the 1980s. After 2003 they agreed to give up their tanks and artillery in exchange for US protection and the designation of non-combatants while hostilities continued. The US military though handed over the camp to Iraq when it took over responsibility for security throughout the country two years ago.
The United States, which is reluctant to publicly criticizing Iraqi authorities, has said it is concerned by the report of the deaths.
(Arraf is a staff writer for the Christian Science Monitor in Baghdad. McClatchy and the Monitor operate a joint bureau in the Iraqi capital.) MORE FROM MCCLATCHY Worst bombing in Iraq in months claims at least 60 lives
Follow McClatchy on