Kansas considers tax credit to get people to move back

The Kansas City StarFebruary 16, 2011 

TOPEKA — When William Allen White wrote his famous editorial “What’s the matter with Kansas?” in 1896, he complained that the state was losing people. And the state has a similar problem today.

Secretary of Revenue Nick Jordan said several counties in Kansas have seen a double-digit population decline over the last decade.

“We are fighting a century-old trend,” Jordan said.

But on Tuesday the Senate Assessment and Taxation Committee heard testimony on a bill to create rural opportunity zones and try to turn that trend around.

Under the bill, people who have lived outside the state for at least five years, without receiving income in the state, would be able to receive income tax credit for five years if they moved into a zone. Kansas residents who studied at out-of-state colleges or universities also could receive assistance with paying off student loans by moving to one of the zones.

The bill was proposed by the Department of Revenue as part of Republican Gov. Sam Brownback’s economic growth strategy.

To read the complete article, visit www.kansascity.com.

McClatchy Washington Bureau is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service